NBUD: Gold Tone ME-Bass

Good presenttion Jim (though the rotating action got my a little dizzy). The washers to set the strings out of the hole is a good idea, as is the bridge adjustment tip.
woops, sorry about that mike. :) Was just trying to keep your attention instead of staring at the same picture for 60s at a time. :)

By the way, I posted this on talkbass.com and within minutes got a message that I need to set my witness points. Something I had never heard of but makes sense. Maybe I can get those last 10c out of the bass strings yet.

woops, sorry about that mike. :)By the way, I posted this on talkbass.com and within minutes got a message that I need to set my witness points. Something I had never heard of but makes sense. Maybe I can get those last 10c out of the bass strings yet.
Hmmm, never heard of it either, I wonder if that's why one of my flatwound strings is slightly dull, have to work with it, thanks.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Hey Jim, I always find it interesting when the tides of coincidence hit me. When I said there might be an ME in my future, I didn't think it would happen too soon, but I just received an email from Gold Tone for a big discount sale of discontinued and blem items and there's an ME on the list. It's the same two knob version, a blem with a couple of scratches on the back for $295 under full warranty, full setup, plus shipping. I ordered it. I might put on my red Pahoehoes.

Gold Tone ME-Bass.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org

Last edited:
quick update - I'm having second thoughts about these flatwounds strings. I wouldn't call them high tension but they are kinda doing a number on my wrists, fretting wrist especially. And being in Sam Ash again this morning, the U-Bass Pahoehoe did feel a lot easier to fret. I'm not ready to give up on the ME-Bass yet, but feel like I might need to try something different. And I hate to change out the strings on this one after what I went through to put them on. :p Might need to look for an actual U-Bass. Pity the SUBs were discontinued. I wonder why?

I have RSI problems with my hands and wrists anyway. Im sure it is much easier than a full size bass, just more than ukes and guileles. :p

I too have hand/forearm problems & sympathize with you. There seems to always be a slightly used SUB for sale on talkbass.

I too have hand/forearm problems & sympathize with you. There seems to always be a slightly used SUB for sale on talkbass.
That’s kinda what I’m thinking - find a used SUB or just put some Reds on the ME. The first will cost me $250-300 to try. The second about $25. Guess which way I’m leaning.:p

I received the ME today. I have to say, it's a really nice instrument, I really like the body shape with the concave curves to fit against. It came with Aquila Thundergut strings which I'm going to keep for the time being, when they get too sticky and sausage, I'll change them to black Pahoehoe. I do think Gold Tone goes too far when they state that using any other strings not recommended by them will negate the 5 year warranty, that's a load of crap.

After I unboxed it, I put it in on the couch next to me and of course I knocked it to the hardwood floor a few minutes later. I hope the electronics can take a hit like that. It's too late in my apartment to plug it in, have to wait for the morning. I tuned it up and the intonation at the 12th fret is a little sharp for the D and G strings, the E and A are really close. More to come tomorrow.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 9 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

Last edited:
Ouch! Hope it is unscathed from the tumble. The intonation observation is interesting - the flatwounds behave just the opposite- bass strings are sharper than trebles.

Seems it came through the fall unscathed, don't even see a dent anywhere. I'm liking the feel of this bass, going to make good use of it.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 9 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

That bridge looks different than mine. I don’t see any intonation adjustment screws. Can you take a closeup shot when you get a chance? When was yours made?

That bridge looks different than mine. I don’t see any intonation adjustment screws. Can you take a closeup shot when you get a chance? When was yours made?
I thought the photo was clear enough to see the adjustment screws on each end of the bridge. Here's a close up, but I see it's different than yours, mine does not have the side screws. I just sent Gold Tone an email asking why the difference.

Gold Tone ME bridge 800.jpg

Last edited:
Is your bridge height-adjustable, Mike?
It looks like the height is adjustable. The position of the bridge by-way of the screws is angled, as well as the saddle sitting in the bridge, creating what I assume is compensation. Not sure if the bridge adjustment screws do both height and intonation.

Congrats on a fine looking bass!

Top Bottom