Spruce / Maple Baritone by Brian Griffin - this is why I enjoy trying new instruments

Doc_J

Reaction score
Having read a fair number of great endorsements & reviews of Brian Griffin’s ukes, but being at opposite ends of the country (WA & GA) I never had the opportunity to experience his instruments. Other opportunities got in the way as well. However, after reading a post from Patrick Madsen in late August I somehow found my way to Griffin Ukuleles website. Low and behold Brian Griffin had a beautiful, used baritone for sale. One he built (#11) and had been playing for 7 years. He was only selling it because of building a new one with Kasha bracing for himself. Seems he has fallen for the sound of Kasha bracing.

I was interested but sat on the fence for a while. Then biopsy results pushed me over the edge to buy it. Figured I shouldn’t wait if I wanted to try it. Well it arrived yesterday, and I really like it. Nothing like an amazing uke to cheer a person up. The looks and tone are beautiful. It sounds warm, yet with a nice crispness to each string (unlike most baritones I've played). It’s also nice to have a hand-made instrument that has been well-played and broken in. It plays like a dream. The intonation is spot-on all the way up the neck, very rare in baritones. It’s not a physically perfect instrument, but that only adds to the charm. There are some barely noticeable builder and playing marks, as one might expect on 7 year old and well loved instrument. Brian insisted on re-gluing the bridge (apparently a corner had been not clamped well when it was built in 2011). It wasn’t a problem but Brian wanted it right before it left his shop. You can see photos of the reglue operation on his blog.

Bear in mind this was only the 11th instrument built by Brian, he’s up to around 110 built now. I heartily recommend you try a Griffin uke.

Here’s it sounded the day it arrived, with South Coast Strings.
https://app.box.com/s/zc5sbgm0nn04v15rc4jgpbvar2wa0gvq

P1090021 by , on Flickr
P1090019 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150516092@N02/, on Flickr
P1090024 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150516092@N02/, on Flickr

Last edited:
Congrats Doc! I've played that baritone a number of times and it always brought a smile. I'm glad you bought it as I was surely tempted to buy another Griffin. He is really liking the Kasha sound and has a few tenors just finished up.

I think I'm on my 6th Griffin and am contemplating one of his Kasha tenors or baritones. The one he just started is already sold. His instruments have a very deep masculine sound. It may be because he makes the body just a bit deeper than others I own. Or, I'm sure he can explain why they sound so good.

I hear you on buying while you can. It keeps us going. I just found out my right ulnar nerve died and the carpal is not doing so well itself. The ulnar; nothing can be done but perhaps the carpal can be fixed. In the meantime, to celebrate I can still play, I am having a Jumbo Baritone being built. After that, I'm sure it'll be another Griffin tenor or baritone.

Have fun with the new bari. I know it was well loved and it took seven years for him to finally sell it. It couldn't have gone to a better person.

Patrick, thank you for helping me find this baritone. I hope your carpel nerve can be fixed. Maybe we both need to get a Kasha baritones from Brian. :)

Last edited:
Then biopsy results pushed me over the edge to buy it. Figured I shouldn’t wait if I wanted to try it.

That sounds ominous :eek:

Oh yeah - congrats on the uke.

I agree Doc, why wait. I use the reason I'm buying for the future generations of family pickers. They'll know how Uncle Pat liked his instruments. The Griffins will stay. The third generation are 7 but sittin' in already.

I consider Brian Griffin the man who brought music back into my life. He sold me #5 G and directed me to the groups I play with now; along side him. Come to think of it, he's the reason I have all these ukes and new builds coming up. I'll blame it on Brian.

He just finished a few of his Kasha tenors that look and sound wonderful. His continual education with woods and sound has really paid off with the latest builds. I'm bitin' at the bullet.

#11 is a special on Doc. The only one with that headstock shape. May you have many more ukes to cheer you up Doc; we ain't done yet!

Last edited:
That sounds ominous :eek:

Oh yeah - congrats on the uke.

Thanks Jim. I'm counting on things not to turn ominous. But, a melanoma diagnosis from the biopsy did give me pause. It helps clear up decision making on uke purchases. :)

I agree Doc, why wait. I use the reason I'm buying for the future generations of family pickers. They'll know how Uncle Pat liked his instruments. The Griffins will stay. The third generation are 7 but sittin' in already.

I consider Brian Griffin the man who brought music back into my life. He sold me #5 G and directed me to the groups I play with now; along side him. Come to think of it, he's the reason I have all these ukes and new builds coming up. I'll blame it on Brian.

He just finished a few of his Kasha tenors that look and sound wonderful. His continual education with woods and sound has really paid off with the latest builds. I'm bitin' at the bullet.

#11 is a special on Doc. The only one with that headstock shape. May you have many more ukes to cheer you up Doc; we ain't done yet!

Amen brother! Many more ukes for us.

It's wonderful that Brian has been so influential on bringing music back for you.

Brian's ukes have what I only describe as more soul than most others.

Love the Gumby headstock!

I finally had the time to fully listen to the sound sample with good headphone. Now I understand why Patrick is such a fan of Brian Griffin instruments and why you mention it has real soul Hodge. Great warm full soulful sound, that's for sure. Congratulations Hodge and a fabulous sound sample as always, you do that baritone proud.

Doc, keeping good thoughts here.

Am just a budding bari player with a lot to learn. I have #105, Brian's first Kasha baritone; and my experience with it's sound is same as yours and as Pat describes above.

Doc, keeping good thoughts here.

Am just a budding bari player with a lot to learn. I have #105, Brian's first Kasha baritone; and my experience with it's sound is same as yours and as Pat describes above.

Thanks for the good thoughts. Had a successful surgery and am slowly healing. Not allowed to use my left arm until it heals. So, wont be playing this beauty for a while longer.

Congrats on #105, the first Griffin Kasha baritone. Sure would love to hear it sometime.

Top Bottom