Vintage Martin Style O

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukulele64

Reaction score
Vintage Martin Soprano Ukulele Style 0 (circa 1938) with brand new hardshell case

This ukulele is bright and loud as is typical of these classic instruments. I'm the second owner and have had it about 4 years. There is some wear and tear and the tuners could use an upgrade, but, it is structurally solid and has a strong tone.

$400 plus shipping in the continental 48 US states

IMG_2265.jpgIMG_2274.jpgIMG_2275.jpgIMG_2277.jpgIMG_2272.jpg

Great deal.....

May I ask how one dates these so specifically?
I have a "pre-war" Martin on my shopping list, but didn't know if it was possible to come up with a specific year like this...
Also thought those Kluson (spelling?) tuners were from the 40's, but don't know when Martin started using them...

Also thought those Kluson (spelling?) tuners were from the 40's, but don't know when Martin started using them...

According to the Tom Walsh & John King book, The Martin Ukulele, the Kluson tuners were used from 1946 - 56 on the 0s and 46 to 48 on the 1 & 2, This book gives you a pretty good idea on dating the Martins.

When I purchased this from the daughter of the original owner, she mentioned that her mom received it new as a high school graduation gift in 1938. I believe the tuners were replaced later with the Klusons.

That’s all I have to go on regarding the date.

Weight could be considered too - a post 46 with these tuners weighs in at about 295g - a pre 27 is around 225g.
Has anyone got the weight for a style 0 made from 27 to 42?

QUOTE=ukulele64;2094778]When I purchased this from the daughter of the original owner, she mentioned that her mom received it new as a high school graduation gift in 1938. I believe the tuners were replaced later with the Klusons.

That’s all I have to go on regarding the date.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom