Kala 6-String Tenor Tuning

JoeJazz2000

Reaction score
Will someone please tell me the tuning of the Kala KA-6 tenor? In particular I'd like to know if the first string pair are unison A's or octave A's. I noted that on the KA-8 eight string model that the third and fourth string pairs are octaves and the first and second string pairs are unisons. I wondered if convention carried over to the six string model.

I checked the string gauges (or recommended tunings) on Aquila strings, Lava and Nylgut 17U (mix of Super Nylgut and Reds) and both sets list a high and low A. Will someone please tell me which way the Kala KA-6 is set up? Thanks.

Joe

I tune mine octave A & octave C.

I have my 6-string tuned in fifths - C-g-G-D-A-A. The 6-string is a fun instrument.

Thanks for all the replies. I have my eye on a couple of 6-strings, because they look, as you say, like fun to play. My decision to pull the trigger doesn't depend on the answers i get here; I was just curious about how they were set up.

As I think about it, in my response to PereBourik, above, I inferred that the added A in the first string pair was a LOW A, and the high A was the standard A. But, if that's the case, then the Low A is pitched below the Low C at the third string pair. Can that be right? On the other hand, High A an octave up would be the equivalent of the standard A string at the pitch at the 12th fret. Also unlikely. SteveZ notated his first string pair as AA, indicating unisons, and Kala, when referring to its eight string model says string pairs one and two are unisons. If PereBourik sees this, will you clarify your tuning of the As, please? You have both been generous with your time comments and I thank you.

Joe

I've probably changed the tuning on my 6-string at least a dozen times, just experimenting with the sound and what simply feels good. Who knows how many more times I will, but it also is part of the fun.

Top Bottom