Seasons 343 "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly"

Checked in and commented on about 50 vids so far, will dig into page 8 and beyond later. This is a treat for me, I absolutely love all that you have brought to this season. Ziggy has listened beside me while chewing on my birthday balloon string. Weird animals they are, but cats are cool.

Keep ‘em coming.

Ciao

Last edited:
I'm mildly surprised nobody has done this song this week yet, so here's a very quick work up and take of it, but it was not easy to pull off. Tougher than I expected. Not the most PC song in the world by a long shot. I had this on a K-Tel album called "Dumb Ditties" in the 70's, and I played it a lot. Thought it was a catchy song then, and still think so now, PC issues aside.

First a little Good- I always like to start there. Anyway, I learned this one from my mom, and Bobbie Vee..and probably Dion.

And the Bad. I learned this one from an old Slickers 45. Johnny you better run to the rock for rescue....

What are the odds????

I checked to see if this had been done, and it hadn't been...then

OK. My version of Johnny Too Bad, which probably owes more to Steve Earle and the V-Roys version

an original song for the season.
guess my idea of what this song is about is summed up
by the first three lines:
sometimes it's our fear of the future that blinds us to an appreciation
of the good things we have in the present.
i know in my life I've been more guilty of that than most.

GLASS CANOES

We feel it, we breathe it
We let it go
Just so we'd remember it

And waves roll, days toll
Like church bells in the night
The moon it took a hit

From the morning we used to hope for
Now a dawning we paid our dues for

Where to, where for
Paddling our glass canoes
And never leaving shore

Good things, we held near
Stolen on the ebbing tide
And left us drowning here

Together, giving up 10 paces
To a future wishing we could just trade places

When the s** hit the fan
And covered us all over like only lovers can
Keep on paddling
Keep on paddling

We feel it, we breathe it
We let it go
Just so we'd remember it

Last edited:
I play in a little acoustic trio called Kitchen Kings. We usually rehearse on Wednedays.
Yesterday, when I told them about this week's theme, they decided on the spot not to work on new songs, but instead to record the only "Good"-song in our repertoire: Good Day Sunshine

Here's a song I like that a lot of Cajun artists have recorded over the years. Attempted it on mandolin, with a splash of uke at the end.

Here's a fun one straight from Library Storytime!

Season 343. Submission 1. "Ship In A Bottle" (A Turtledrum Original) Copyright Linda Opyr, 2018)

Gina, I just returned from overseas. I wrote the lyrics for this on the plane trip home and got the music together this morning.
I'm really happy that I'm able to get this one in for you this week.

Thank you very much for hosting and this terrific theme!

The eagle-eyed amongst you may notice that I posted a version of this a little earlier today - but the key was too high for my vocal, which didn’t sound great. So I scrapped it and transposed it down a tone - better to sing but harder to play.

Many years ago I was surprisingly given a Sheryl Crow CD by a girlfriend - surprising because it wasn’t really my kind of music, not because she wasn’t generous! I listened to it out of loyalty and even more surprisingly, I found that I really quite liked it - especially this one. It’s a song that brings back some GOOD memories and some BAD memories - and fortunately she wasn’t UGLY! ;)

Here's a Freddie Hart song. I heard this out at a bar/restaurant when I was a kid, and liked it instantly, but got frustrated cause I could never find this record anywhere to save my life. I took the sopranino challenge on this one, and this was my first recorded take. BTW, this is a totally different "Ugly Duckling" song than Steve did earlier in the week.

Here’s one from Yazoo - ‘Nobody’s Diary’.

“For the good, the bad, I don’t want to see a page in your diary, babe.”

Greetings,

Well I made it through 70 vids on the list, all commented and posted. I am somewhere in page 10 I think, with notebook in hand. This one is going to be tough to pick, I can see that already. You all have so much talent and enthusiasm and originality that I am blown away. Will plug away tomorrow at more vids, keep on doing your magic.

Ciao

Here's my spaghetti song. Written by Australian children's performer Peter Combe.
Took me a ridiculous amount of time to TRY and sinc the pictures to the lyrics...

Last edited:
Top Bottom