Seasons 343 "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly"

No Matter What - Badfinger

About 30 seconds before my next turn came around, I quickly decided to do a "bad" song - "No Matter What" by Badfinger. I used to perform it, but it's been a while, as you'll discover if you watch through the middle of the vid. (Adding to the degree of difficulty, I was also transposing on the fly to G from a chart in A. Perhaps one day I'll write up that G chart I've been promising....)

Given the last-second nature of the selection, I barely had time to hand my phone camera back to my willing but inexperienced videographer, and neglected to remind her of the instructions she'd so deftly followed the first time. So, mea culpa for the stationary and vertical nature of the video. She did eventually move the camera to my left to catch the last bit of Arthur's fabulous impromptu guitar solo, so you can see a bit of my "backup band" if you watch that far.

I love this song - I really want to bring it back into repertoire!

thanks for this week, Gina.
an original song for the season;
this one I wrote today around the "ugly" theme
and featuring my brother Kevin.

intro

(G) (C)(G)
(G) (C)(D)
(G) (C)(G)
(G)(C)(D)(G)

Now (G)there's some things we break
We (C)don't get round to (G)mending
And (G)letters that we've written
We (C)never bother (D)sending
We (G)fill our cups to overflow
(C)Way on past the (G)brimming
It's (C)ugly and it's beautiful (D)

We (G)dance with two left feet
We (C)sleep with one eye (G)open
We (G)sneak into the cinema
(C)Full of fear and (D)loathing
And (G)white lies we have told
To keep the (C)consequences (G)hidden
It's (C)ugly and it's beautiful
(D)All is for(G)given

intro

Now if (G)happiness is over-rated
(C)Guilty i'll be (G)standing
Like an (G)airplane in a storm
I'm looking (C)for the softest (D)landing
And (G)troubled times will test us
Like an (C)improvised jazz (G)rhythm
It's (C)ugly and it's beautiful (D)

For like the (G)sun will rise after the dark
(C)I'll always be (G)smitten
It's (C)ugly and it's beautiful
(D)All is for(G)given...

intro/outro

I figure "Ugly" will be the hardest to find a cover of.So I'll get in quick with Billy Bragg's music collaboration with posthumous (discovered) lyrics of Woody Guthrie.
"how could a boy get so ugly". from Way over yonder in a minor key.
Now I'm off to work on the entire Morricone Soundtrack canon.Should have it ready by Season 543.

Great theme and opening video Gina! I figured I'd go ahead and get the ugly out of the way first. Here's one by The Maddox Brothers and Rose, who were known as "America's most colorful hillbilly band" from the 30's thru the 50's. Rose Maddox had a long solo career after that. This was actually a fairly popular song of theirs. I had fun trying it.

Here's one David Allan Coe did in the 70's, where he did impressions of country stars, both as a tribute and a parody. I had a lot of fun trying this one. Of course, I can't do the impressions nearly as well as he did, so maybe my version should be called "Worse impressions"....Heh

Back home from a week away, and this song is begging to be done, as it kills two birds with one stone. Mel & Judy Tillis wrote it, and I can only think that someone must have done it on the Seasons before, because I can't work out where else I could have heard it. So thanks to whoever.

Hi, Gina! A great theme for the Season and your Clint Eastwood is to die for! This song is basically "good" (as in the title), but the sentiments are really quite "bad" as in gleefully vengeful. And I only just managed to get through it without losing my voice ... a cold coming on, I think; so apologies!

The title says it all. Great theme, Gina!

Another paoriginal for my ugly song.
This would be my theme to a movie called "Ugly Hombre" and the rough out for the song has the same title.

Needs some Dm harmonica but I don't have one....

Last edited:
An obvious choice! We're hunkering down for Hurricane Florence, which may make landfall in about 72 hours. Storms named "F" tend to hit our area particularly hard. We've done what we can to prepare, except I still need a new propane tank for our camp stove. Hope everyone on the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S. and Mexico is safe!

BTW, the small white dog looking concerned is Rufus. He always looks concerned.

Never any good
Homage to the Holy Hills and the Deep Ravine... Cohen lamenting another disastrous love affair.

Here's a Jim Lauderdale song. This is one of his traditional country songs, he does several genres of music, and I like this one, so this was a "good" chance to try it out.

Top Bottom