Seasons 343 "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly"

Good Golly! I just barely made it through this without running it into the dirt! I have had it in my mind for quite a while to try to sing this song, but never did it. I blame Gina for pushing me off the cliff to make the attempt.

One from Sheffield’s Richard Hawley, who is also, wise man, a huge Scotty Moore fan. This, Born Under A Bad Sign, is from his 2005 album, Coles Corner.

Here's my GOOD.An original called Time I was Gone.
A blues I wrote with '50's Film Noir in mind.I known it's not a spaghetti western..but they share some bones.I used images from a minor classic i found recently on Youtube - a 1950 B movie called Quicksand.Great movie and free and legal to watch. About a poor schmuck's decent into darkness through a $20 debt that compounds in the worst ways.Super cast.The blonde femme fatale is the sister of a famous Film Noir actor.Can you guess?She looks like him.

Some people pray for the early rain
Others they pray for the sun
Chances are shot with a loaded dice
Endings are shot with a gun

Cracked bells they toll for the holy man
Saxophones play for the rest
One bullet sounds in a lonely room
Somebody fails the test

Gonna leave in the morning
Slash the dawn like a knife
Away from the trouble and strife

There’s always one watching
The curtain lays torn
Candle still burning
Guess it’s time
Guess it’s time
I was gone

A loner can go where he wants to go
A gambler will roll where he can
A good mother comforts
Her restless child
No one will cry for this man

Ive booked me a ticket
On the hellbound train
Don’t count the days that I’m gone
Trail’s still hot in the alley way
This cold wind won’t leave me alone

The curtain lays torn
Candle still burning
Guess it’s time
Guess it’s time
I was gone

I think I have done this before, possibly for a Children's Songs week, but it gives me another chance to practice my quacks.

Here's my GOOD.An original called Time I was Gone.
A blues I wrote with '50's Film Noir in mind.I known it's not a spaghetti western..but they share some bones.I used images from a minor classic i found recently on Youtube - a 1950 B movie called Quicksand.Great movie and free and legal to watch. About a poor schmuck's decent into darkness through a $20 debt that compounds in the worst ways.Super cast.The blonde femme fatale is the sister of a famous Film Noir actor.Can you guess?She looks like him.

Some people pray for the early rain
Others they pray for the sun
Chances are shot with a loaded dice
Endings are shot with a gun

Cracked bells they toll for the holy man
Saxophones play for the rest
One bullet sounds in a lonely room
Somebody fails the test

The curtain lays torn
Candle still burning
Guess it’s time
Guess it’s time
I was gone

A loner can go where he wants to go
A gambler will roll where he can
A good mother comforts
Her restless child
No one will cry for this man

Ive booked me a ticket
On the hellbound train
Don’t count the days that I’m gone
Trail’s still hot in the alley way
This cold wind won’t leave me alone

The curtain lays torn
Candle still burning
Guess it’s time
Guess it’s time
I was gone

Jeanne Cagney ... sister of the great James!!! (And that's a fab. song, John!)

Greetings,

It's just about my lunch hour, which will be devoted to listening to vids and posting to thread! Let the games begin......

Ciao

I'm going to start out with the good cause the week could go bad and get ugly. So far so good!
:)

Here's a Jimmy C. Newman song I played mostly on Dulcimer, but snuck in a little Ukulele at the end. This was a quick work up, and only a few takes, so it's far from perfect, but I was having fun.

Last edited:
Great theme Gina! Though I fear, that this season, I won't be as prolific as last season. But that's just due to my lack of time this week. But I hope to get done at least one song for every of the three adjectives.
I'll start out with a cover of a song by the late, great Mr.Zevon:
Mr.BadExample

I messed up in a few places, but this song takes a lot of energy and I'm kind of tired out from working in the rain all day so I kept it. This song has "bad" once and "good" twice, but no "ugly." I broke out my seldom-used keyboard to try to imitate the Moog riff.

Rose Murphy sang this little jazz number way back when. Then a soup company bought it.

Good Golly! I just barely made it through this without running it into the dirt! I have had it in my mind for quite a while to try to sing this song, but never did it. I blame Gina for pushing me off the cliff to make the attempt.

OMG, this was quite a surprise and incredible fun :) (More comments in vid) Ciao

Greetings,

It's after 11 PM EST and I guess it's time to crash. I listened to about 30 vids on about 5 pages, all commented on and hopefully all posted. For a day that started "ugly" with the announcement that the whole division at work is likely being dissolved, I needed a "good" way to make the day worthwhile (there is no "bad"). I have my headphones on, a bag of Cheetos, orange fingers, and your music. Those of you that eat cheese doodles and other cheesy junk food know the deal. Play away friends, no limits.

Ciao

thanks for hosting, Gina!
Here's our cover of a song by Gregory Porter.

Well since Gina took the song limit away, this is the other "bad" song that first popped into my head. Never had this on a record, but I loved whenever this Jimmy Dean song came on the radio when I was a kid, but I could never have named you another Jimmy Dean song back then, still though, he seemed so famous, even before the sausage days.

Thanks for the week Gina, Good Morning to you

A 1am take on a Lucinda Williams song. I think you will find some ugly truth in this one.

Top Bottom