Seasons 343 "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly"

one to file under either "bad" or "spaghetti"(as in western).
a Cliff Edwards classic from Bandit Ranger.
if you haven't seen this clip, please take a look. so good.
otherwise there's this one below.

Jimmy Dean was kind of an odd country music star: he was most famous for NOT singing. He was famous for his "recitation" songs, which were not really songs, but a spoken narrative with musical accompaniment. "Big Bad John" was his biggest hit, I think.

Jimmy Dean was from Plainview, Texas, which is up in the panhandle, and most likely "Plainview" is a literal name. Anyway, he also did some acting, most notably in the TV series Daniel Boone and the movie Diamonds are Forever.

During the 1960s, had his own TV variety show. It was on this show that he gave Jim Henson's muppets their first national exposure.

He was a frequent guest-host on the Tonight show. It was on one of his hosting gigs there that he first gave future country star Roy Clark his first national exposure.

Although famous for not singing, he had a very expressive voice and could pack a lot of emotion into a three-minute spoken-word story.

"Big Bad John" had two sequels, one by Dean himself, called "The Cajun Queen," in which John's love from New Orleans shows up and rescues John from the mine. They go on to have 110 grandchildren. The other sequel, "My Big John," was recorded by Dottie West. In this song, the Cajun Queen comes to the mine looking for John and learns about his death (oops...SPOILER ALERT!).

This is a Juliana Hatfield song called "Ugly". I thought this was going to be an easy song to figure out, but it wasn't. I had to translate it from a guitar tab. Almost all the chords are played with the top two guitar strings (E and B) open, and Hatfield fretting the other strings. So all the chords have an E and B in them along with the other notes, and it made for a bunch of complex chords.

This is a Yes song from the late '90s, when no one was listening to them any more, called "It Will Be a Good Day (The River)".

The Butterboxes version of the Clint Ballard Jr song
which Brian covered earlier in the week.
about as dirty and loose as the target of the lyrics.

Here's another song that's been recorded by a lot of artists, I've always liked it, but it's another that's not the most PC song in the world. Had fun chunking it out.

John (Flatbaroque) brought a song from the first "Mermaid Avenue" CD to this season earlier in the week.
That put to mind this "BAD" song from the second CD of these wonderful songs of Woody Guthrie.
For a long time, these "songs" existed only as lyrics in a notebook kept by his daughter, Nora.
Nora handed the notebook to Billy Bragg and the band Wilco and they put these songs to music.
I wish to send love out to my uncle, Jack Rye, who is forever linked in my mind with this song.

Born under a bad sign

'Born under a bad sign' - William Bell's famous blues hit. I got inspired to do this after watching an acoustic version from William's 2016 record 'This is where I live'. Check it out if you like blues. This version is different from the famous Albert King as it doesn't emphasise the riff and bass line usually associated with this song. I hope you like my version, which was recorded using my Godin Multiuke.

It would almost be a pity if this songs was not covered this week, so I did the best I could with the time at hand.

Those jazz chords are tricky!

At the time of posting, youtube was still processing my video - I hope it finishes at some point! I need to leave my PC now.

Last edited:
Here's a Tom Waits song. I added piano and vibraphone.

Last edited:
Here’s an original from me. Apologies for the very bad American accent, and the even worse Clint Eastwood impersonation (which sounds more like Mr Burns from The Simpsons!). I had a lot of fun writing and recording this - hope you find it at least mildly amusing!

an original for the season.
thanks for a super week of music Gina, really enjoyed this!
the Two Little Woodpeckers may have one more, and maybe joojoo
but this is over and out for me.
going to do some listening this weekend.

WHEN YOU'RE SO BAD (YOU'RE SO GOOD)

Oh pretty baby when you're so bad
Don't you know you're so good
You're the naughtiest baby I ever had
I only wish I could

Put you over my knee for you're misbehaving
A little place in your heart is all I'm craving

You're the naughtiest baby I ever had
I only wish I could

Cut me a key to your front door
And come inside a whole lot more
Cause oh pretty baby when you're so bad

I guess a little bit of something is a whole lot better
Than a whole lot o nothing if we aint together
Cause oh pretty baby when you're so bad
(I aint jokin!)
(here's hopin!)
Don't you know you're so good!

My cover of the Barenaked Ladies's "What a Good Boy"

It would almost be a pity if this songs was not covered this week, so I did the best I could with the time at hand.

Those jazz chords are tricky!

At the time of posting, youtube was still processing my video - I hope it finishes at some point! I need to leave my PC now.

Something going on with this one UV. YouTube won't let me see it.

Something going on with this one UV. YouTube won't let me see it.

It should be working now - at least for me.
Dunno what went wrong, all I did was opening the edit options on youtube and saving changes. Only Edit i did was changing thumbnail, but that can hardly mean anything.

I had half an idea for this when Gina’s theme was announced, but I was inspired to actually write something by Del’s marvellous “Don’t Squint Like Clint”. Once I’d got the chorus the rest kind of wrote itself :D

Top Bottom