Koaloha KTM-00 Tenor - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Safe to say you liked this one then Baz! Am I right I thinking the 7 pointed crown headstock is a nod to the owner's Christian faith? I'm sure I read that somewhere but if I'm wrong I'm also sure there'll be at least 4 people along shortly to tell me off... regardless of its origins, it does look great.

Not entirely sure. I prefer pineapples to religion!!

I've always thought the headstock looks like Bart Simpson's hair.

ha ha - me too!
(which is no bad thing!)

Safe to say you liked this one then Baz! Am I right I thinking the 7 pointed crown headstock is a nod to the owner's Christian faith? I'm sure I read that somewhere but if I'm wrong I'm also sure there'll be at least 4 people along shortly to tell me off... regardless of its origins, it does look great.

From my understanding of it, both the headstock and logo were designed before a secondary meaning was applied to them by the owners (this is for sure the case with the logo). This caused a number of owners to sell off their KoAlohas a few years ago. Meanwhile neither of these are actually Biblical images, and it is shocking to see the intolerance towards Christianity...when we should be practicing tolerance for ALL, particularly with the history of the ukulele in general. And yes, I’m alluding to the act of Tiny Tim, whose effeminate routine added to the demise of the ukulele in the Mainland US culture in the strongly homophobic atmosphere of the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

I recently sent in a ukulele I bought used to KoAloha and benefitted from their “better than the weather” warranty, which is rare in the world, and I think is a policy encouraged as a result of the religious convictions of the owner.

Hopefully, we’re one of the communities where tolerance and acceptance is encouraged by all.

"... it is shocking to see the intolerance towards Christianity"

If someone does not want to purchase or play instruments with subtle or overt religious symbols on them, it does not imply intolerance. Tolerance means accepting the existence of something with which you might not agree. It does not mean one must embrace and promote anything one disagrees with.

For example, I tolerate amplified ukuleles. I don't own any, but I don't seek to prevent others from playing them, nor do I sling insults at them for doing so.

Play on!

Last edited:
Who cares whether the headstock has seven points, or three, or is rounded, or square, it's just decoration.....

If you don't like it/them, you could always file/sand them down. These are really good ukes, why denigrate them over something so petty.

I don't care if the owner of the brand is christian or muslim, I'm buying his product - I'm not buying into his religion.

Who cares whether the headstock has seven points, or three, or is rounded, or square, it's just decoration.....

If you don't like it/them, you could always file/sand them down. These are really good ukes, why denigrate them over something so petty.

I don't care if the owner of the brand is christian or muslim, I'm buying his product - I'm not buying into his religion.

Keith, can you point to where in this thread someone has denigrated the ukes? I was genuinely taken aback by your comment as this has all been pretty reasonable, interested discussion I thought. I definitely shouldn't have asked the question, though, didn't think about how inflammatory mentioning religion could be. Sorry Baz, the focus should be on the wonderful uke and your epic enjoyment of it!

How does it compare to the spruce topped Opio you reviewed a while back? I would probably go for that one as I love cedar and spruce tops.

How did we get here? I mean, the three points on the Martin head stock could refer to the holy trinity. But more to the point, I won't be getting rid of my Martins for that reason and I'm still wanting to get a Koaloha as soon as I can.

Thanks bazmaz for another great review!

Sorry, not at you in particular - but I've read it several times within these forums, that people wouldn't buy KoAloha because they thought the owner was pushing his religion via the headstock shape - It's ridiculous.

Sorry, not at you in particular - but I've read it several times within these forums, that people wouldn't buy KoAloha because they thought the owner was pushing his religion via the headstock shape - It's ridiculous.

Ah, I didn't realise. Really regret mentioning it and detracting from the review at this point. Oh well, live and learn I guess!

Keith, can you point to where in this thread someone has denigrated the ukes? I was genuinely taken aback by your comment as this has all been pretty reasonable, interested discussion I thought. I definitely shouldn't have asked the question, though, didn't think about how inflammatory mentioning religion could be. Sorry Baz, the focus should be on the wonderful uke and your epic enjoyment of it!

How does it compare to the spruce topped Opio you reviewed a while back? I would probably go for that one as I love cedar and spruce tops.

The Opios are great - but this is a level above

Disclosure - I am about the most strongly atheist guy you could meet. I despise all religions equally. If they are religious symbols I don't give a damn though - I bought a ukulele, I didn't sell myself to the church.

Bart Simpson it is! Aye Caramaba!

That’s a very good price!

Baz,

You mentioned wanting a string change... any particular reason or type of strings? ( I know you're anti string reviews). I find the fluorocarbon low g to be slightly like a rubber band. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Top Bottom