Koaloha KTM-00 Tenor - REVIEW

Baz,

You mentioned wanting a string change... any particular reason or type of strings? ( I know you're anti string reviews). I find the fluorocarbon low g to be slightly like a rubber band. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I'd also be interested to get your take on this. On the one hand, I absolutely love the stock Koaloha sound, to the point that on my soprano, I've just bought extra sets of stock strings to use as needed. On the other hand, I agree that the tension on the Worth low G is a little low.

I'm experimenting with Aquila Reds right now on a Koaloha concert and it sounds decent, and I'll be trying Lavas next soon. On the tenor, though, I'm not sure what else to test out.

I have played literally every size offered by Koaloha and owned a few. They are an outstanding instruments and the tenor is a canon with goobs of volume, sweet tone and resonance. I think the headstock is Bart Simpson wearing a pineapple :p

For those wanting a low G try the Fremont Soloist, yes it is safe to do so. A friend who is an excellent guitar and uke player with a very good ear has the Koaloha tenor. He had Worth low G and thought is was a bit tubby sounding. We put on the Fremont Soloist and he smiled all the way home, night and day difference.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I thought long and hard before buying my Koaloha Tenor this past June. Sure is a lot of money. Most folks can play better than I. I have enjoyed my Tenor every time I play it. Your review reinforces my good buy!

Thanks for the review. I thought long and hard before buying my Koaloha Tenor this past June. Sure is a lot of money. Most folks can play better than I. I have enjoyed my Tenor every time I play it. Your review reinforces my good buy!

Don't ever fall into the trap that great ukes are only for extremely skilled players! A lot of people have the idea that ukes are like cars- that just as you wouldn't want to give a new driver the keys to a sports car, you wouldn't want to give a new player a great uke.

It's not at all like that. In fact, it's the opposite. It is way easier to learn and get better on a fantastic uke than it is on a mediocre instrument! You made a fantastic choice. Your uke sounds great to you, is very well built, and is very easy to play as ukes go. It will help you improve your skills to be sure!

Yes really don't like the stock strings - my point on string reviews is that they are pointless as recommendations - the only thing they tell you is what the other person liked. Doesn't mean you will and in fact I have tried strings people have raved about and hated them!

For what it's worth though, I put on a set of Oasis Brights and they have massively improved things (for me). More tension, snappier in tone - all round better on feel and sound for me.

Living in a house with a talented musician, I know the idea of how important sound can be to the individual. I've tried a couple of times to buy an instrument for my lady but she always kindly reminds me that she has to hear the instrument in person before she will buy one. I also like the idea that one should buy the level of instrument they aspire to play to. I've got that covered. I've heard plenty of young musicians outplay their instruments, wonderful talent, such poor quality instruments, one wishes they could put a better instrument in their hand and really hear the music. But at time yea gotta play with what yea got......

Yes really don't like the stock strings - my point on string reviews is that they are pointless as recommendations - the only thing they tell you is what the other person liked. Doesn't mean you will and in fact I have tried strings people have raved about and hated them!

For what it's worth though, I put on a set of Oasis Brights and they have massively improved things (for me). More tension, snappier in tone - all round better on feel and sound for me.

Did you end up keeping it low g or change to high g?

I think I will buy one of these soon but will most likely change it to a high g tenor. I've read that some think it can get too bright when you put a high g on it.

Did you end up keeping it low g or change to high g?

I think I will buy one of these soon but will most likely change it to a high g tenor. I've read that some think it can get too bright when you put a high g on it.

I kept it low G

Baz, great review.
I never really liked the Koaloha brand, but you've sold me. At least on wanting one.

Top Bottom