Dirt Cheap New Ukulele For A Beginner Advice

Orton Pearson

Reaction score
Which do you regard as the best value absolutely dirt cheap ukulele for a beginner, be it a soprano, concert, tenor or baritone? Let's make it one that is easily available worldwide without needing to be individually imported to wherever you are.

Last edited:
I think the Makala Dolphin and/or Shark are good (if purchased set-up MIM, Uke Republic here in the States) and will run you about $50.

Mim also has the Ohana SK-10 Sopranos that she sets up and I believe they run about $60.

MIM Reverb Dolphins and Sharks:
https://reverb.com/shop/mimsukes?query=dolphin
https://reverb.com/shop/mimsukes?query=shark

Mim Reverb Ohana SK10
https://reverb.com/shop/mimsukes?query=ohana sk-10

Uke Republic Dolphins and Sharks:
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/makala-dolphin-soprano-mk-s
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/new-makala-mk-ss-shark-soprano-ukulele-w-setup

Last edited:
I’d probably point you towards the Enya models. They have some very nice laminate (non HPL) models in addition to the HPL X1 series.

The value of the kit is pretty outstanding. I’m also interested to check out the Bondi brand as well as the Uma ukuleles that have been listed on some review sites.

Enya, Donner, or Kmise.
We've owned or played many of these.
Enyas and Kmise didn't need any set up and the Donner did. But the Donner had a wider nut, which I really like.
My last purchase, which was very recent, was a Kmise tenor from Amazon, less than $50 shipped, with case, tuner, strap, strap buttons
and two sets of D'Addario String.
Kmise my current budget fav.

Last edited:
I always recommend starting out with a concert scale - & my suggestions are Kala or Ohana.

But if you want cheap, you may not get very good sound quality, have rough frets, & lousy intonation.

(Of the cheap ones, maybe a plastic one by Vorson/Brunswick or a Waterman.)

Which do you regard as the best value absolutely dirt cheap ukulele for a beginner, be it a soprano, concert, tenor or baritone? Let's make it one that is easily available worldwide without needing to be individually imported to wherever you are.

As with any item, something that’s the best value and dirt cheap normally doesn’t get you anything that’s worth having. The proverb ‘he who buys cheap buys twice’ is very true. However, if you avoid the bargain basement stuff, you don’t have to spend much at all to get something that will give you hours of pleasure. Buying second hand will reduce your costs too.

You’ll need to set up any instrument you buy yourself - shops can’t do it for free and some tell you that the Ukes they supply are fine when they are not - sort out the saddle and (if not already fitted with at least Aquila’s) change the strings to something worthwhile trying. As for brand I’ve had a lot of success with Makala, I think that a well set up Makala Concert could last you for years. The MK-C isn’t expensive, sounds good with the right strings (like Martin M600’s) and is good value. If you want a Soprano then a well set up Dolphin is a joy to own.

Last edited:
Hi, Ukeless. "Absolutely dirt cheap" suggests the cheapest possible, bargain basement stuff. That is not the place to look if you want good value. Having said that, I must confess I have recently bought three "dirt cheap" sopranos from the AliExpress website. They were all very playable, satisfactory instruments. They came direct from China and cost me about £25 each. I broke one up to use the neck, tuners, strings for a Cigar box project I worked on. One (a Kmise) I gave away, and one I keep in the car. That one is branded "Burks", but the brands mean nothing. They all seem to have come from the same factory, and are all very similar.

I know you excluded individually imported items, but you also said, "easily available worldwide". Nothing could be more easily available than buying online.

John Colter.

You can indeed buy online for delivery anywhere in the world but in this instance buying a dirt cheap ukulele online and paying delivery expenses for a several thousand miles journey defeats the objective. I seek brands which are available worldwide such that going to a shop or buying online within any particular country that you may be (low delivery costs) is the objective.

I don't know what expenses might apply where you live, Ukeless, but in the UK my three cheapies came to me for about £25 each - including shipping and with no added charges. If it's cheap you are looking for, that would be my recommendation. If you are looking for branded ukuleles that you can buy from a retail outlet in the country where you live, you will pay a lot more for an equivalent instrument.

John Colter.

Ukantor, I am in the UK and you do address the question. But there are also proper brands which sell cheap ukuleles through such shops as Gear4Music and the Rimmers Lancashire empire of shops, with UK postage included in the price and I seek to discover which of the numerous variants of these are the best value. The nub of the question has been reached. I seek the best value for a known brand at the cheap end of the market with either little or no postage cost, it already being included in the stated reasonable price as it is in some cases in the UK.

I originally tried to phrase the question such that it worked equally well worldwide and not just for me where I am but I should have been specific.

Last edited:
Enya, Donner, or Kmise.
We've owned or played many of these.
Enyas and Kmise didn't need any set up and the Donner did. But the Donner had a wider nut, which I really like.
My last purchase, which was very recent, was a Kmise tenor from Amazon, less than $50 shipped, with case, tuner, strap, strap buttons
and two sets of D'Addario String.
Kmise my current budget fav.
I agree about the Kmise. Fantastic value, and contrary to most advice you will receive, they come set up perfectly. And they sound good.

Carmel ukulele have got a lot of love here. The website shows $42.00 for a concert size. Free worldwide shipping, can't beat that deal.

I don't know what expenses might apply where you live, Ukeless, but in the UK my three cheapies came to me for about £25 each - including shipping and with no added charges. If it's cheap you are looking for, that would be my recommendation. If you are looking for branded ukuleles that you can buy from a retail outlet in the country where you live, you will pay a lot more for an equivalent instrument.

John Colter.

As regard to ukulele for beginners, I'd highly recommend these ukuleles to you: https://www.strong-wind.com/ukuleles. What do you guys think ?

The cheapest good quality ukulele you can get is, believe it or not, the most expensive highest quality one you can find. Yes, spend over a thousand. Why? Because if it turns out you don't like playing ukulele you will get most of your money back when selling it. But if you do like playing, you will save hundreds working your way up from a cheap instrument to the one that ultimately satisfies you.

I reckon 90% of the utmost ukulele playing enjoyment can be had in a ukulele costing less than £300. Anything more than that is just tinkering with the remaining 10%.

The investment that realises the most value is time spent practising, performing and jamming with friends.

I reckon 90% of the utmost ukulele playing enjoyment can be had in a ukulele costing less than £300. Anything more than that is just tinkering with the remaining 10%.

The investment that realises the most value is time spent practising, performing and jamming with friends.

:agree:

Ain’t that the truth!! You don’t need to spend much on a Uke to have a great time. A new Dolphin can be had for about £40 on eBay; buy one, set it up and play it. There’s some amazing music made on very inexpensive Ukes by folk who practiced a lot and learnt how to play really well (see: https://www.ukulele-arts.com/2018/05/18/the-9-euro-ukulele/?lang=en ); your biggest investment actually is in your time in learning how to play well - a journey of a lifetime. Don’t worry whether or not a Dolphin's the best value ‘cause they don’t cost much and you’ll have it forever (‘cause they seem built to last and it can become your ‘beater’ later). If Concert’s your size then similar can be said of the MK-C, just don’t expect it to withstand quite as much abuse as a Dolphin though.

Last edited:

I spent my first 18 months on ukes costing barely more than £200, in the end I found my ideal size, long neck concert, & bought a 'good' one, haven't bought any since - harmonicas, on the other hand.......... :)

:agree:

Ain’t that the truth!! You don’t need to spend much on a Uke to have a great time. A new Dolphin can be had for about £40 on eBay; buy one, set it up and play it. There’s some amazing music made on very inexpensive Ukes by folk who practiced a lot and learnt how to play really well (see: https://www.ukulele-arts.com/2018/05/18/the-9-euro-ukulele/?lang=en ); your biggest investment actually is in your time in learning how to play well - a journey of a lifetime. Don’t worry whether or not if a Dolphin's the best value ‘cause they didn’t cost much and you’ll have it forever (‘cause they seem built to last and it can become your ‘beater’ later).

The musician playing this 9 euro uke is very talented and really does make it sound lovely. There is no doubt a cheap uke can sound good. Here is the rub with recorded videos.........post production editing. Listen very carefully with good headphones and it is very obvious a lot was done after the uke was recorded. Reverb, chorus some mid level boost and presence were all added. If you sat in front of him while he played it that uke will not be close to sounding like post production.

Don't mean to rain on the parade and I own cheap ukes that I enjoy playing. But buyer beware is always prudent, that uke will not sound like that in your lap.

Top Bottom