Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dirt Cheap New Ukulele For A Beginner Advice

Quote Originally Posted by _Ukeless_ View Post
    Which do you regard as the best value absolutely dirt cheap ukulele for a beginner, be it a soprano, concert, tenor or baritone? Let's make it one that is easily available worldwide without needing to be individually imported to wherever you are.
    If you're in the UK check out the "Vintage" brand https://www.jhs.co.uk/brands/vintage/vintage-ukuleles ... cheap as they come and surprisingly good! ... and yes, I've got one of their ukuleles, a 12-string guitar and a bass guitar ... all perfectly playable
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Not really knowing where to turn, as there were no local outlets, I purchased my first ukulele four months ago based on Amazon reviews. Based on those I went with a Hricane tenor. W/ padded gig bag, extra Aquila strings, capo and polishing cloth for $55 delivered. If you Google reviews you may find my post on YouTube. I was extremely happy with my purchase. There were a couple of minor issues but I can definitely recommend it as an intro ukulele. I did eventually change the strings to Living Water. Just my 2 cents worth.

Default water buffalo bone not American bison

I imagine that the nut and saddle are from water buffalo, an Asian domesticated animal raised for milk, meat, and as a draft animal.

Nuts and saddles are mostly specified generically as "bone" with no origin noted. I wouldn't be surprised if many of those "bone" nuts are water buffalo considering their origin in the area where those animals are common.

If you are vegetarian, vegan, or a PETA member any type of bone is likely not acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by rrieth View Post
    I imagine that the nut and saddle are from water buffalo, an Asian domesticated animal raised for milk, meat, and as a draft animal.

Nuts and saddles are mostly specified generically as "bone" with no origin noted. I wouldn't be surprised if many of those "bone" nuts are water buffalo considering their origin in the area where those animals are common.

If you are vegetarian, vegan, or a PETA member any type of bone is likely not acceptable.
    Would that include fossilized dinosaur bone?
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1
    Martin T1K

Well we have to draw a sensible line somewhere between being absolutely 100% perfectly vegetarian and using that which originated from dinosaurs. No dinosaurs were bred for the purpose of human beings being able to drink their milk, eat their flesh or use any part of them for ukuleles.

Maybe dinosaurs are what Soylent Green is made from.
    Last edited by _Ukeless_; 09-23-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain Fan & Carlisle United Fan

Countdown Of United Kingdom Time Remaining In The European Union

Gear4Music Deluxe Tenor
    Mahilele Soprano

I heard of an instrument builder who discovered some bones when digging his back garden. He had unwittingly disinterred a dog. So there are some ukes out there with nuts and saddles made of dog bone.

That's OK by me. The dog was, presumably, someone's beloved pet. It will have known nothing but love and kindness, and lived out it's natural span. "No dogs were harmed" as they say.

John Colter

Ah, to be reincarnated as a musical instrument!
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1
    Martin T1K

Great advice in here.

I have many parents buying their kids the cheapest ukuleles possible and it's usually counterproductive to their learning.

So cheapest is definitely not best.

Makala Sharks are great and durable. Personally I really dislike the sound of plastic ukuleles with plastic frets. Makala Sharks are part plastic and have metal frets.

I'd say the best bet is to buy an uke from Mim at Mim's Ukes. She'll set up even the cheapest ukes so you can be sure of the playability.

It could be a bit cheaper finding one on Amazon, but being straight from the factory could give you one that's more difficult to play. But, all things considered, if you want cheapest, I'd say just go with a well-known brand from the cheapest place. Reverb.com is my favorite place to get used/new instruments.

I just checked and there's a few Kala sopranos for $42.
    -Abe (ah-bay)
    Teacher/musician/podcaster
    ukuleleabe.com
    Abe’s Ukulele Podcast

Thread Information