Uneven bass response

ampeep

Reaction score
At our jam last Friday my friend tried playing his kala ubass through my amp. He played a number of songs & I ended up playing his ubass the rest of the jam. He has roundwound strings & my rumble 40's settings were flat.

We both noticed that some notes were much louder than others. He tried changing the eq on his ubass but it didn't make much of a difference. Am curious - Is this typical?

I didn't notice that with my solid body electric bass, although have noticed it when i played in large spaces or when di'd through a PA system.

Curious to hear other responses. Was there any pattern to the loud notes? Like open strings, or notes on the E string?

The saddle/pickup assembly Kala uses for the U-bass is very much the same as on my Rondo Hadean acoustic and solid bodies. The saddle is molded plastic with indents that separate it into four sections, but is actually one piece, under the plastic saddle is the pickup with four individual sensors. I've experienced imbalance of the strings when amplified, a remedy I use is from a suggestion on the Talk Bass forum to cut apart the saddle sections so they put individual pressure on the pickup sensor. It's worked on two of mine, but didn't on one, which tells me the pickup sensor has gone bad.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
My friend & I are very familiar with regular electric basses - ubass is relatively new for us. Could it be that ubasses tend to have that characteristic & that players accept that as a given?

Top Bottom