Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U-Space Ukuleles

Default U-Space Ukuleles

Someone here mentioned U-Space Ukuleles in Los Angeles. Looking at their site, I don't see any inventory. Why go to the trouble of making a site without listing products?

Yes, I could call them and ask what they have in stock, but is that practical? Buying a plane ticket to visit the store is even less practical. I buy everything online, so seeing what's available is essential.

Just my "complaint" for the day.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Q: How do you keep a uker in suspense???

A: I'll tell you later!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Q: How do you keep a uker in suspense???

A: I'll tell you later!
    Ooh! I can't wait!
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

U-space is a cute little shop within the Los Angeles Japanese Cultural Center. I think they sell coffee and Romero’s. (Tiny Tenor, etc.)
    If life seems jolly rotten,
    There's something you've forgotten,
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing! - Eric Idle

As far as I know, it's Jason Arimoto's shop. I think it's more of a side project than his main source of income. They offer lessons and sell coffee too. Jason is a great guy and a fantastic player.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Yes, Jason, his wife Patrice and Daniel Ho. I've been to the shop many times, bought my first bass uke from them, attended many concerts, workshops and classes but haven't been there recently. Even met Jake once when he was visiting the shop to say hi. They were associated with Anacapa Ukes in Ventura, not sure if that's still the case. U-Space is a good place, but it's not oriented to online sales. They carry all the main brands and it might not be a bad idea to call for current inventory.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    Last edited by kohanmike; 09-13-2018 at 08:38 AM.

20180503_143104.jpg From Jason's shop. Be sure to call for open hours. Parking around the area is ok (not great - just ok). I got my Tiny Tenor there. He also did the set up on 2 of my other ukes. Jason is one of the nicest guys you'll meet.
    My pride and joy is a Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. I named it "LumiŤre"
    I also have a Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol which I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    And another soprano by Kanilea. The Islander AS-4 Acacia that I call "Little Bear"
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele - no name yet

Jason and his wife are simply awesome.

Give them a call, it may be less convenient than doing business online but I don't think they will disappoint you.

Also, as I recall, their prices were VERY good.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Someone here mentioned U-Space Ukuleles in Los Angeles. Looking at their site, I don't see any inventory. Why go to the trouble of making a site without listing products?

Yes, I could call them and ask what they have in stock, but is that practical? Buying a plane ticket to visit the store is even less practical. I buy everything online, so seeing what's available is essential.
    Wow. Lots to unpack here.

Guesses on why a site without online products:
    • They're happy with their sales without an online presence.
    • They don't think they can compete online. (IE: take on HMS, Mim, Uke Republic, Elderly, etc etc etc)
    • Their core customer is probably someone local, who can make it into the shop. They're in LA and probably get sufficient walk-in traffic. It's not like they're located in the middle of nowhere like Mim. (Not a shot.
      It's just that, according to wikipedia, LA has 4M people and Floyd, VA has a population of 425. And looking at it on a map, it's out there and far from any major cities.)
    • Having an online presence usually means using an e-commerce solution. And that usually means losing a few percentage points of every sale to that solution. And losing even small percentages really stinks for small business owners. There's a reason why gas stations started offering cash prices a while back.
    • It's a ton of work to make an online site work. Think about the man hours, equipment, and cost that HMS must sink into their site. You've got to take the fancy photos, record the video, write up the listing, update the site, deal with regular security hacks and out-of-date packages. Then you've got to have people to ship everything out, and customer service folks to handle inquiries and snafus. High volume websites are pricey. Bandwidth isn't free, unfortunately. It's a lot of work.

Is it practical?
    Probably not. For both of you.

Just my "complaint" for the day.
    It's been my experience that folks who joke about making complaints are generally unhappy about the things they're joking about, even when they say they aren't. And regardless of how you feel, I want you to know that I'm sorry you're stuck in this kind of rut.

If I'm ever in the Catskills again, I'll look you up and we'll jam. It'll be great. :thumbsup:

Oh well Jerry, Uke Republicís shows everything out of stock all the time....I have been to U Space in person. Itís pretty small with just a few choice ukes.
    My uke family:

Magic Fluke Firefly
    Martin 0 (1950s)
    Sailor Brand Spruce Tenor
    LoPrinzi Cherry Concert
    Mya Moe Myrtlewood Tenor

Thread Information