Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popped String

Default Popped String

The A string (#1) on my Lanakai banjolele popped last night while I was sitting next to it, reading. It’s tuned to fifths.

I leave my Aquilas long and rolled up on the tuner, so it was still long enough to remount it, but, when I got it just about to A, it popped again—scared the heck oughta me.

No biggy, I guess, I have some fresh ones, though I’m not a fan of changing strings. I don’t play the Lanakai much, so I guess that’s why I’ve waited so long (2 years, 8 months) to restring it. Time flys.

Has this happened to you?
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Fingerpick

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDG Fingerpick

Luna "Peace" concert - Hi-C GDA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA Strum

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - Wallhanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Wallhanger
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

I had two strings break in one day, and it can be startling. The bridge on a homemade cigar box uke popped off the other day, although I wasn't present at the time.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

I certainly don't like the last line of your signature. Although I'm 74, I'm ready to go at least another 74 years. : )
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Boy, I had the bridge slip out with a BANG on one of my banjoleles, and I thought for sure I had split the banjo head.
    It was okay, but I’m very careful when readjusting the bridge now.

I certainly don’t want that to happen again.

I had the B string pop on my older concert ukulele. The slot is slightly damaged and now there is a dent on the top. However it has not popped since.
    LaCole
    LACole

Northern UK20 Concert
    Beaver Creek Maple Flame Tenor
    Eddy Finn EF-Moon Concert

I keep a small bead ( 3mm) on most of my sopranos on the "A" string so it wont pop out. It is such a thin string that even with a knot , it could pop out and damage the bridge.
    I haven't had a string break in a long time. Never had a string pop out. I started doing it many years ago after reading a post about someones "A" string on their new Kiwaya soprano
    popping out and damaging the bridge. I'm not sure if you are talking about a string break or the string pulling out of the slot.
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

Quote Originally Posted by Pukulele Pete View Post
    I keep a small bead ( 3mm) on most of my sopranos on the "A" string so it wont pop out. It is such a thin string that even with a knot , it could pop out and damage the bridge.
    I haven't had a string break in a long time. Never had a string pop out. I started doing it many years ago after reading a post about someones "A" string on their new Kiwaya soprano
    popping out and damaging the bridge. I'm not sure if you are talking about a string break or the string pulling out of the slot.
    I was talkin’ ‘bout it breakin’—twice! A long time ago, I had two or three Aquila Reds break too, so I just quit usin’ ‘em.

I think strings are a pain, especially metalic ones. I used slides or valves or keys before I started ukin’. They don’t break or need changing, though the keys need periodic overhaul.

Well, whatever it takes—gotta keep goin’ now.

The string didn't break. I tried tying another knot, but that didn't work so I had the friction pegs replaced with geared tuners and had the shop put new strings on it.
    LaCole
    LACole

Northern UK20 Concert
    Beaver Creek Maple Flame Tenor
    Eddy Finn EF-Moon Concert

I bought a Sound Smith resonator. The first night I had it, the unbranded nylon A string broke at the end hole. I thought it might have been temperature change. I changed the strings to Aquila super nylgut.

The A string broke again two nights later at the tie hole. This time I was sitting next to the uke stand when it let go with a very loud pop! I think I jumped a foot off of my chair when it happened. Used a magnifying loop and felt around the hole with a string to see if it was a sharp edge or burr causing this. Couldn't see or feel anything sharp.

I didn't much like the Nylgut sound, so I changed to a set of Aquila Sugars. Took two days to s-l-o-w-l-y bring the strings up to full tension. Haven't had a problem since. I like the sound of the Sugars much better as well. Sort of halfway between Nylons and fluorocarbons.

maybe check for a sharp edge on the tuner post... especially with nylguts, I've found they cut easily. If the edge of the hole in the tuner post is even a little sharp, that'll do it. A little bit of filing with a fine needle file will fix it if that's the problem.
    Kala Waterman soprano
    Mainland Mahogany Classic soprano
    Mainland Red Cedar soprano
    Ohana SK-28 soprano
    Cahaya CY-0112 concert
    Kiwaya KTC-1 concert
    Musicguymic's "Kolohe" brand - prototype concert
    Cordoba 24T tenor
    Kanilea Islander MST-4 tenor
    Pono ATD tenor
    Cordoba 24B baritone

I know of many folks in my uke group, who've never changed their strings or only do so when they break. Wouldn't it be noticeable when the strings get worn & the intonation goes off?

When I hardly played guitar, I never changed the strings in 30 years, but now i play 3-4x per week with uke groups, I need to change strings after 3 months. The sound gets duller, intonation goes off & It's harder to tune.

Thread Information