Responding to Compliments

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Let's say you bring your beautiful new ukulele to a group session, and several people say how beautiful it is. Do you say, "Thank You," or do you say, "Yes, it is."?

When this happen to me, I'm never sure what I should say. I can't take credit for the appearance. All I did was exchange money for a ukulele. Would I be thanking them for implying I had the good taste to pick out this particular model? It's beauty has nothing to do with me.

I just say thanks...

Respond by telling them what you like most about it or what drew your eye and made you purchase it.

Somebody: "That's a beautiful uke."

Me: "It is, isn't it? It's a [brand or name of builder]. Here, give it a try."

I mean, it's not a compliment to me. All credit to the maker.

I say thanks also and ask if they want to play it as I’ve been taught to share my toys.

I say yep and mention something about the build, like the material (bocote or spalted mango), or maker for a custom (in my case always Bruce Wei), and would they like to try it (most times they decline).

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

if they're complimenting the uke, I say "Isn't it?... I love this thing!" if it's my playing, I say, " Aww, shucks! "

I also say "Thanks." Then tell them what it is. (I've received more comments about my base level Pono MGT Mango tenor than any other! I guess because it's such an unusual looking wood.) I'll compliment them on their instrument if they are holding one.

Then I ask them if they'd like to try mine out. It's been about 50/50 whether they do or not.

I say "thanks" because I'm acknowledging the compliment about the instrument. But I feel they are also complimenting me for having chosen such a nice-looking ukulele. "You got good taste."

When I attend our weekly sessions, if I have a new uke, it always gets passed around. Everyone loved my banjo ukes.

I never get complimented on my ukuleles, but quite often I am complimented on my good looks and intelligence. I just humbly thank them and smile.:rolleyes:;):D

Top Bottom