Help:Strap buttons on a soprano-real world experience.

The strap I got for Christmas had leather ends, but the holes even with an expansion slot would not fit over the pick up on the tail block, I had to modify it, then it came off once. I purchased a strap keeper but it was too thick to fit the strap and keeper over the pickup button. I made may own with a much thinner plastic washer I constructed. I like the looks of the strap but I'm don't like the modification I had to do to make it work. Was the strap to be used for some other instrument, or the pickup not designed for a leather strap?

Two strap buttons on my Outdoor Soprano and a 3/4 inch wide shoelace is the strap. Works very well.

Adjust the strap so that it is comfortabe to play the ukulele when sitting. When standing it will be in the same comfortable position.

I have a MiSi in my Mainland and it has a strap button integrated into it, as do most pickups. I use a strap once in a while on that ukulele, especially if I am going to play it standing up. I just tie the other end to the headstock. I've never given it a thought. I'm just not that particular that I would do otherwise. I guess thinking about it right now though, that I use a strap so little that it isn't really worth it to drill hole in my ukulele and stick another protrusion on it. Neck dive, I have no valid opinion about that as I have no experience with neck dive. But my logic tells me that it is a ukulele, it weighs nothing, how is it going to dive? But then logic sometimes doesn't work for me, so maybe there is something to neck dive that I don't know. If one is worried about it, then they need to take that into consideration I guess. I use a red Ernie Ball nylon guitar strap that one of my guitar playing friends gave me years ago. It isn't anything special. It works well though and I really like it. I don't have a strap button on my soprano, but someday I'm going to put a MiSi in it, and then I will. Until then I'll just keep struggling along.

The strap I got for Christmas had leather ends, but the holes even with an expansion slot would not fit over the pick up on the tail block, I had to modify it, then it came off once. I purchased a strap keeper but it was too thick to fit the strap and keeper over the pickup button. I made may own with a much thinner plastic washer I constructed. I like the looks of the strap but I'm don't like the modification I had to do to make it work. Was the strap to be used for some other instrument, or the pickup not designed for a leather strap?

I have found that pickup end pins are usually much larger diameter than standard strap peg buttons; they have to be to accommodate a 1/4" input plug.

I like 2 strap buttons, one on neck heel and one on the uke bottom, but on sopranos, especially vintage sopranos, I hate drilling the neck heel, so usually just attach the strap to the headstock on those, between upper and lower tuner posts, using a leather shoelace to attach to the strap on the bottom, which is usually the one that slips. To keep the strap from releasing from the bottom button, I use the orange washers from Grolsch beer bottles, got a big bag on eBay for $4.00.

Strap peg.jpg

Last edited:
Another pro-strap vote here. It's not "lazy" to want to protect your shoulder! if you have chronic shoulder problems like I do, getting a strap may help with the discomfort. I prefer 2 button method of attaching a strap but I have one ukulele that can't be done that way and it attaches to the headstock with a string. Ugh. I hate it but that's life! I do not like those straps that attach to the sound hole. They seem really unstable for me.
I make my own straps so I don't have to worry about adjusting too much or release from the bottom.

To keep the strap from releasing from the bottom button, I use the orange washers from Grolsch beer bottles, got a big bag on eBay for $4.00.
View attachment 111999

Not as much fun as emptying all those bottles yourself.

I have nothing to add of value about straps, as I don't use one.

Two strap buttons on my Outdoor Soprano and a 3/4 inch wide shoelace is the strap. Works very well.

Adjust the strap so that it is comfortabe to play the ukulele when sitting. When standing it will be in the same comfortable position.

Oh so you actually use the two button method on an actual Outdoor Soprano. Which color did you get? I'm thinking bottle green but they all look good. Check this link. Are they really recommending tying it off at the headstock. It seems fuzzy. Any way thanks for the advice.
https://www.outdoorukulele.com/collections/custom-shop/products/strap-button-gold

Is OU recommending only using one strap button and tying it off at the headstock or is it only if you are getting one strap button? Maybe I'm reading too much into their description. Thoughts?
According to that description, yes, they're saying one strap button and tie it to the headstock. If I can't add a strap button to the neck heel or if the uke has a combo output jack/strap button, I pass.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 9 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Another pro-strap vote here. It's not "lazy" to want to protect your shoulder! if you have chronic shoulder problems like I do, getting a strap may help with the discomfort. I prefer 2 button method of attaching a strap but I have one ukulele that can't be done that way and it attaches to the headstock with a string. Ugh. I hate it but that's life! I do not like those straps that attach to the sound hole. They seem really unstable for me.
I make my own straps so I don't have to worry about adjusting too much or release from the bottom.

I used the short button straps for the neck for a while. They look much better than a shoelace. I did cut a few down so the leather wasn't as wide.

All-in-all, I prefer two buttons. I also prefer a 2" guitar strap on my tenors. They seem easier on my neck & shoulder.

I use uke leash with their strap button adapter. I just have one strap button and fit the head end between the tuners rather than behind the nut. It doesn't get in the way of my left hand there.

Oh so you actually use the two button method on an actual Outdoor Soprano. Which color did you get? I'm thinking bottle green but they all look good. Check this link. Are they really recommending tying it off at the headstock. It seems fuzzy. Any way thanks for the advice.
https://www.outdoorukulele.com/collections/custom-shop/products/strap-button-gold

I have a brown soprano and green tenor. Both have two strap buttons.

As that description is for only one strap button the other end would have to be tied on.

I recommend getting two strap buttons.

I have a brown soprano and green tenor. Both have two strap buttons.

As that description is for only one strap button the other end would have to be tied on.

I recommend getting two strap buttons.
Thanks! I've pretty much made up my mind to get to strap buttons. When you have your soprano hanging by the strap and you let go, does the neck dive downward or is the uke very balanced?

Those reading this thread who may not want to drill into their uke, or may not like straps connected to their headstocks, or are concerned about "neck dive," please check out my Mobius Strap. Here's a video of it in use on a soprano:

Thanks! I've pretty much made up my mind to get to strap buttons. When you have your soprano hanging by the strap and you let go, does the neck dive downward or is the uke very balanced?

The neck falls down with no hands. So with two strap buttons it is slightly front heavy.

I'd love to find some more of these lovely South American woven belts.
View attachment 111964

Would you mind posting or PMing me a close up or two of the belt and how you attached it to your uke? I might borrow an inkle loom and make something similar for myself. It looks great.

Top Bottom