Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warp or Not

Default Warp or Not

I have a Yamaha CS40 Classical Guitar and I want to remove strings 5 and 6 and play it as one would a baritone ukulele or tenor guitar tuned D G B E. Will the removal of two strings cause the neck to warp or cause any other damage. There is no truss rod in this guitar.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but you already have the 'extra' strings - why not use them to play bass notes?

Folks in my uke groups have told me they like the bass - especially when there's no bass player that day.

In short, I don't believe an problems would come by removing the 5th and 6th strings due to the lower tension of the classical strings. Yamaha classical necks are pretty beefy.

An alternative - I've converted some guitars to four stringers by utilizing string slots 2 thru 5 (removing strings 1 and 6) and arranging the strings as desired for what tunings I want. This keeps a more even, symmetrical tension on the neck, top, and bridge. However, I have done this only on steel string guitars for a make shift tenor guitar and not on one of my classical. Of course the steel stringers have a narrower nut width - a standard classical neck might have too much reach to get to the fifth string than you want.

An another alternate, relative to ampeep's post, I have a classical that I tune strings 5 and 6 as drone strings. Really, it's simply just tuning the 6th string to drop D. The result is DAD for strings 6, 5, and 4. I play the melody on the top four strings and use the fifth and sixth strings as drones. This sounds great for the Celtic music I like to play.

Just some ideas that hopefully you might be able to benefit from.
    Last edited by bsfloyd; 09-15-2018 at 01:56 AM.

An another alternate, relative to ampeep's post, I have a classical that I tune strings 5 and 6 as drone strings. Really, it's simply just tuning the 6th string to drop D. The result is DAD for strings 6, 5, and 4. I play the melody on the top four strings and use the fifth and sixth strings as drones. This sounds great for the Celtic music I like to play.

I had previously thought of ampee's idea of just playing and leaving the two bass strings on the guitar. I just thought it might be easier to play if I got the extra strings out of the way. Your idea of drones is good. I do not know, yet, how to add n or apply drones but I love to play Irish tunes. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysmash View Post
    I had previously thought of ampee's idea of just playing and leaving the two bass strings on the guitar. I just thought it might be easier to play if I got the extra strings out of the way. Your idea of drones is good. I do not know, yet, how to add n or apply drones but I love to play Irish tunes. Thanks guys.
    The two drone strings work very well when playing in the key of D major. The sixth string low D and the fifth string A, and then the fourth string D (octave above the low D sixth string) make a nice 1-5-1 pitch interval. Many Celtic tunes are written in D major. Just take one of your guitars and tune the sixth string low E down one full step to D. Then play an open D chord with all six strings. The sound is very full. This also works for the key of D minor, because the 1 and 5 and the same in both keys.

Drone strings - that sounds pretty cool! Kinda like bagpipes or sitar. 😄

One day my friend's mother who is originally from Ireland, heard someone attempting to play the bagpipes. After a while, she went over & gave him tips.

I tried playing yesterday in drop D tuning and it sounded great. Very full and mellow. Now that brings up a question. If I continue to play the chord shapes for the key of D but I capo on the 2nd fret, am I now in the key of E?

I'm glad you are liking the sound! Playing a D chord with a capo on fret two will indeed sound an E chord.

Thanks to both of you. You guys are great. Now off to practice. Thank you.

Good to hear that you'll be able to use the two 'extra' strings on your Yamaha. Have fun with your new tuning!

Thread Information