Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warp or Not

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysmash View Post
    I tried playing yesterday in drop D tuning and it sounded great. Very full and mellow. Now that brings up a question. If I continue to play the chord shapes for the key of D but I capo on the 2nd fret, am I now in the key of E?
    yes, putting the capo on the second fret would put you in the key of E

I recently purchased a Yamaha GL1 Guitalele. I was about about to trash it because when I reach for the 5th and 6th strings my fingers were to short and fat to fret clearly. I also have a mushroom on the end of my index finger from trying to cut it off when 7 years old playing carpenter. So I can play nice and clean on the first four fingers but not on the 5 and 6. But now I dropped the 6th string, A to G and what a difference that makes. I just use those two strings for drones as I do on guitar and what a sweet sound.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysmash View Post
    I recently purchased a Yamaha GL1 Guitalele. I was about about to trash it because when I reach for the 5th and 6th strings my fingers were to short and fat to fret clearly. I also have a mushroom on the end of my index finger from trying to cut it off when 7 years old playing carpenter. So I can play nice and clean on the first four fingers but not on the 5 and 6. But now I dropped the 6th string, A to G and what a difference that makes. I just use those two strings for drones as I do on guitar and what a sweet sound.
    That'll work!!

When playing in D Major Key with guitar tuned D A D G B E the drone strings sound nice and full. However, what about when you play the other chords in the Key of D Major - Em F#m G A7 Bm C#m - does the D and A, drone strings still fit, sound ok? Or must I do some additional fingering?

You will need to do some alternate fingerings for other keys. The open strings work as drones in the D keys because the drones are the root and fifth of that key.

Thread Information