Warp or Not

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha CS40 Classical Guitar and I want to remove strings 5 and 6 and play it as one would a baritone ukulele or tenor guitar tuned D G B E. Will the removal of two strings cause the neck to warp or cause any other damage. There is no truss rod in this guitar.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but you already have the 'extra' strings - why not use them to play bass notes?

Folks in my uke groups have told me they like the bass - especially when there's no bass player that day.

In short, I don't believe an problems would come by removing the 5th and 6th strings due to the lower tension of the classical strings. Yamaha classical necks are pretty beefy.

An alternative - I've converted some guitars to four stringers by utilizing string slots 2 thru 5 (removing strings 1 and 6) and arranging the strings as desired for what tunings I want. This keeps a more even, symmetrical tension on the neck, top, and bridge. However, I have done this only on steel string guitars for a make shift tenor guitar and not on one of my classical. Of course the steel stringers have a narrower nut width - a standard classical neck might have too much reach to get to the fifth string than you want.

An another alternate, relative to ampeep's post, I have a classical that I tune strings 5 and 6 as drone strings. Really, it's simply just tuning the 6th string to drop D. The result is DAD for strings 6, 5, and 4. I play the melody on the top four strings and use the fifth and sixth strings as drones. This sounds great for the Celtic music I like to play.

Just some ideas that hopefully you might be able to benefit from.

Last edited:
An another alternate, relative to ampeep's post, I have a classical that I tune strings 5 and 6 as drone strings. Really, it's simply just tuning the 6th string to drop D. The result is DAD for strings 6, 5, and 4. I play the melody on the top four strings and use the fifth and sixth strings as drones. This sounds great for the Celtic music I like to play.

I had previously thought of ampee's idea of just playing and leaving the two bass strings on the guitar. I just thought it might be easier to play if I got the extra strings out of the way. Your idea of drones is good. I do not know, yet, how to add n or apply drones but I love to play Irish tunes. Thanks guys.

I had previously thought of ampee's idea of just playing and leaving the two bass strings on the guitar. I just thought it might be easier to play if I got the extra strings out of the way. Your idea of drones is good. I do not know, yet, how to add n or apply drones but I love to play Irish tunes. Thanks guys.

The two drone strings work very well when playing in the key of D major. The sixth string low D and the fifth string A, and then the fourth string D (octave above the low D sixth string) make a nice 1-5-1 pitch interval. Many Celtic tunes are written in D major. Just take one of your guitars and tune the sixth string low E down one full step to D. Then play an open D chord with all six strings. The sound is very full. This also works for the key of D minor, because the 1 and 5 and the same in both keys.

Drone strings - that sounds pretty cool! Kinda like bagpipes or sitar. 😄

One day my friend's mother who is originally from Ireland, heard someone attempting to play the bagpipes. After a while, she went over & gave him tips.

I tried playing yesterday in drop D tuning and it sounded great. Very full and mellow. Now that brings up a question. If I continue to play the chord shapes for the key of D but I capo on the 2nd fret, am I now in the key of E?

I'm glad you are liking the sound! Playing a D chord with a capo on fret two will indeed sound an E chord.

Good to hear that you'll be able to use the two 'extra' strings on your Yamaha. Have fun with your new tuning!

I tried playing yesterday in drop D tuning and it sounded great. Very full and mellow. Now that brings up a question. If I continue to play the chord shapes for the key of D but I capo on the 2nd fret, am I now in the key of E?

yes, putting the capo on the second fret would put you in the key of E

I recently purchased a Yamaha GL1 Guitalele. I was about about to trash it because when I reach for the 5th and 6th strings my fingers were to short and fat to fret clearly. I also have a mushroom on the end of my index finger from trying to cut it off when 7 years old playing carpenter. So I can play nice and clean on the first four fingers but not on the 5 and 6. But now I dropped the 6th string, A to G and what a difference that makes. I just use those two strings for drones as I do on guitar and what a sweet sound.

I recently purchased a Yamaha GL1 Guitalele. I was about about to trash it because when I reach for the 5th and 6th strings my fingers were to short and fat to fret clearly. I also have a mushroom on the end of my index finger from trying to cut it off when 7 years old playing carpenter. So I can play nice and clean on the first four fingers but not on the 5 and 6. But now I dropped the 6th string, A to G and what a difference that makes. I just use those two strings for drones as I do on guitar and what a sweet sound.

That'll work!! :)

When playing in D Major Key with guitar tuned D A D G B E the drone strings sound nice and full. However, what about when you play the other chords in the Key of D Major - Em F#m G A7 Bm C#m - does the D and A, drone strings still fit, sound ok? Or must I do some additional fingering?

You will need to do some alternate fingerings for other keys. The open strings work as drones in the D keys because the drones are the root and fifth of that key.

Top Bottom