Song Help Request Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles (arranged by Fred Sokolow)

Puggerino

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently purchased The Beatles For Fingerstylw ukulele arranged by Fred Sokolow (and I love it!!!)

Im having difficulty with Here Comes the Sun.
Could someone give a rundown of the order to play the song with all the Coda 1 and Coda 2 and DC al Coda 1/2 stuff?

Would be much appreciated!!!

Without seeing the music notation you are working from, it would be difficult to explain the "roadmap" of the song. However, when dealing with a piece of music that has a challenging roadmap, I have found that it's helpful to listen to a recording of the song (preferably the original version) on YouTube (or another source), and take note of what order the various parts (verses, choruses, bridge, different endings) occur during the recording.

Hi Pug - I have the same problem. The music itself is easy enough, but I have no idea how to follow all that Coda business. I wish Fred would put more books out (I know of the other existing ones) . The Beatles and the Bluegrass ones are my favorites.

Hi Pug - I have the same problem. The music itself is easy enough, but I have no idea how to follow all that Coda business. I wish Fred would put more books out (I know of the other existing ones) . The Beatles and the Bluegrass ones are my favorites.

Try looking in Wikipedia... and Music Theory books typically explain this kind of notation too.

For instance here is what Wikipepia says about Coda:

"In music notation, the coda symbol, which resembles a set of crosshairs, is used as a navigation marker, similar to the dal segno sign. It is used where the exit from a repeated section is within that section rather than at the end. The instruction "To Coda" indicates that, upon reaching that point during the final repetition, the performer is to jump immediately to the separate section headed with the coda symbol. For example, this can be used to provide a special ending for the final verse of a song. "

Like someone suggested earlier, listen to the original recording of the song while looking at the music sheet in the book. That ought to sort things out quickly.

When you’re new to music notation it’s easy to get lost. What I do with any new piece is to make a copy of the sheet music and draw/bracket , in colour, the different sections and use arrows to indicate which direction to go. I find this helps as I can still focus on the actual notes, when playing melody, and be prepared to jump back to repeat or jump forward. Your peripheral vision picks up the symbols you drew and your prepared for the deviation. My biggest problem is when I have a “Oh look, there’s a squirrel” moment and I get totally lost.
It may sound immensely complicated at first but stick in there, it will become second nature.

@Puggerino, I completely agree with you on this particular song as noted in Fred's book. Fred actually lives a few blocks from me and I've taken some lessons from him. Even he got confused trying to follow it, and he wrote the damn book. ;-0

I haven't worked on the song in a long time. But since I don't sing, repeating verses too many times can be boring. So what I do is try to put together something that is 90 seconds or so long and reasonably represents the song. Plus, I can't seem to memorize a song longer than about 90 seconds! ;-)

Top Bottom