Season 344: "Changing Seasons"

I have absolutely no idea what brought this on .... probably too many Saturday mornings listening to "Children's Favourites" in my youth. It mentions the eagerly anticipated arrival of Spring, so I suppose, in that sense, it could be said to cover a change of Seasons. (And my apologies to Wim!)

Last edited:
Loved your song Linda.

Our lyrebird is so named because the male birds' display tail plumage resembles a traditional lyre. The male bird is a superb mimic and is able to copy and perform the calls of other birds as part of its display in the hope of attracting a mating partner - it even constructs a stage area. It now even copies modern sounds - car alarms, chainsaws, mechanical advancing cameras (when they once used film) etc....

It can be found on our 10c coin.
View attachment 112114

This is really interesting, Brian! What is it with Australian birds mimicking things .... don't mynah birds come from Oz as well!

This is really interesting, Brian! What is it with Australian birds mimicking things .... don't mynah birds come from Oz as well!

We do have mynah birds but they are an introduced species. I have heard an Australian magpie do as good a job at mimicry as a lyrebird. It was in a tree directly above and did a fabulous kookaburra call, lorikeet, pied currawong and dog barks. And of course its own magpie song which has been decided by the experts as being the best bird song in terms of complexity and pitch range.

I had the opportunity to visit Stonehenge years ago. I'll never forget the time I spent there. It went right into my bones. Your grandson has a fine, fine project. I bet he never forgets this one ..... and your helping him.

I have rather "gone off" Stonehenge since I found out it was rebuilt in the early 20th Century. And that area is infamous in the UK for the most enormous traffic jams on the A303. I KNOW ... I am completely soul-less!

We have our own mimic. The starling. A lot of people don't realise that starlings are mimics. When I was doing my teacher training, on my way to the bus in the morning, I used to regularly pass under some starlings perched on some phone lines across the road. They did a very good imitation of a nearby creaky gate.

We have our own mimic. The starling. A lot of people don't realise that starlings are mimics. When I was doing my teacher training, on my way to the bus in the morning, I used to regularly pass under some starlings perched on some phone lines across the road. They did a very good imitation of a nearby creaky gate.

A couple of years ago I took our dog to the vet for a check-up. While I was standing at the reception desk, I heard what sounded like a phone ring in the room at the back, and someone say "Hello, vets..." - it was an African Grey parrot, which had been there for three hours, long enough to pick up and repeat the sounds, and long enough to drive the receptionist mad.

Transition from August to October and from one relationship to another with lots of crying - a Finnish song "Syksyn sävel" (Autumn Tune) by Juice Leskinen.

A couple of years ago I took our dog to the vet for a check-up. While I was standing at the reception desk, I heard what sounded like a phone ring in the room at the back, and someone say "Hello, vets..." - it was an African Grey parrot, which had been there for three hours, long enough to pick up and repeat the sounds, and long enough to drive the receptionist mad.

:biglaugh:

Sympathy for the receptionist, though.

Here's one from me. An original which I have written over the past couple of days. Hope you like it. I've called it Autumn song but all four seasons come into it.

Lyrics and chords

Autumn Song
By Geoff Walker

Now [C]September's [G]here; [D]summer's coming [Em]to an [Am]end
[G]Chilly winds of autumn blow across the fields a[B7]gain
[G]Birds gather on the rooftops [Am]ready to depart
[G]Now has come the [Em]time that my [G]love and [D]I must [Em]part

The [C]seeds of love [G]were [D]planted in the [Em]springtime [Am]rain
[G]Sprang up in early summer like the sprouting [B7]grain
[G]Grew tall and strong under the [Am]pleasant summer sun
[G]Sultry August [Em]saw it fade and [G]foretold the [D]end to [Em]come

[G]Summer days are [Em]done
[Em]Winter's coming [Am]on
My [Em]Autumn love has [Am]gone
A [D]new love will come [Em]soon.

The [C]shortening days [G]are [D]turning into winter [Em]in my [Am]soul
[G]Driving love that I once knew out into the winter [B7]cold
[G]At the turning of the year a [Am]seed of love was found
[G]Lying dormant [Em]in the cold [G]till spring [D]comes a[Em]round

[G]Summer days are [Em]done
[Em]Winter's coming [Am]on
My [Em]Autumn love has [Am]gone
A [D]new love will come [Em]soon. x2

Last edited:
Greetings,

I ran amok with YT filter (like I need those mics like a celeb), boxes, wires, and combined my uke and mandolin tracks for this Greenday cover of "Wake me up when September ends". I am still learning with limited time, however I did discover that the word "gain" on that black box is the volume control. And that is what messed up my first attempt. Why doesn't it just say "volume". Gheesh. I don't think anyone has done this song, so here goes...

Ciao

Caught up to here. I should have everyone in the playlist. Let me know if I missed yours. (PM for preference)

There are 52 entries so far with more than the usual number of songs with 2 or more entries. It's always interesting to listen to different interpretations of the same song. A few originals as well which is good too.

I'm enjoying listening to your songs, so keep them coming. I'm going to lift the song limit so bring as many entries as you wish.

Geoff, I had some time Wednesday evening to take a look at the theme. Thank you for hosting. I've had this song in the works for several seasons but every time I tried to record it I couldn't manage to get through it without severe mistakes. Truthfully this one isn't where I want it to be yet. This is way past my level but I decided to just go with it. I won't have another chance this week to get it done. I think I may have fallen asleep in the middle of this one. I could barely keep my eyes opened.

Most people hear this song and hear it as a 'tomorrow will be brighter" song. Funny I've always heard it as a seasons song thinking of little purple pansies raising their faces to the sun after a long-awaited winter.

Taken from songfacts -
George Harrison wrote this in Eric Clapton's garden using one of Clapton's acoustic guitars. When the Beatles' manager Brian Epstein died in 1967, the band had to handle more of their accounting and business affairs, which Harrison hated. He wrote this after attending a round of business meetings. This song was inspired by the long winters in England which Harrison thought went on forever.
In the documentary The Material World, Eric Clapton talked about writing this song with Harrison: "It was one of those beautiful spring mornings. I think it was April, we were just walking around the garden with our guitars. I don't do that, you know? This is what George brought to the situation. He was just a magical guy... we sat down at the bottom of the garden, looking gout, and the sun was shining; it was a beautiful morning, and he began to sing the opening lines (to "Here Comes the Sun") and I just watched this thing come to life."

Six-year-old Granddaughter - Wait, do you make your songs so everyone in the world can hear it?

Me - Yes

Her - Oh, they're gonna think, shes soooo old and she greaaaat!

After my hysterical laughter I said, that's exactly what I keep telling myself :/

:mad:

Last edited:
Another short simple original tune accompanied by some Spring and Summer video footage I shot earlier this year, that's me done, all the Seasons covered.

Hi all.

It has been hectic this week. The first week back at University always is. I didn't think I'd find time to contribute, this week, but it turns out that Monday is a public holiday in Barcelona, so I don't have the Monday class to prepare for.

Plus the muse had other ideas. Once again, this was a song which crept into my consciousness at 5:30 am and I just had to sneak out of bed to write down the basic idea for the lyrics.... No tune at this stage.

Now, I have recently been thinking it was time I dug out my old Chalumeau (Grandfather of the Clarinet) and give it another go. Sadly, when I bought it, it just took took too much puff to get a sound out of it and it squeaked and howled at me till I gave up. I mentioned this to my local music shop and they said, "Try a lighter reed!"
I said: "Give me one for a real beginner, then."

They did and.... what a difference. The number one reed easily fires up and is far easier to control. I still have a long way to go to becoming proficient with this instrument, but it is nice to have an alternative to a stringed instrument to be able to solo with - even one limited to a single octave.

So, I took the words to this tuneless song and started playing the Chalumeau and it almost gifted me the tune immediately.

So here is a world premier of yours truly playing the Chalumeau accompanied by my Guitalele. Hope you like the song and don't suffer too much during the instrumental breaks ;)

Greetings,

Sorry to interrupt - just letting all know the wrap is in for Season 343.

Ciao

Bit rough and ready this one - but then The Undertones, great though they were, never struck me as the most polished act around. Really enjoyed covering this one:

Top Bottom