Season 344: "Changing Seasons"

Here's a very quick take of a Statler Brothers song I heard for the first time in decades last week. I think it does enough to fit the theme.

Y'all have to idea how honored (and pumped) I am that my song is being covered here. You folks are amazing.

Here's a Johnny Horton song.

Been a bit out of sorts the last few weeks. Glad to get back to it here. Thanks for Hosting Geoff. I learned this Townes Van Zandt song today and gave it a go. Look forward to hearing some other entries tonight

As I already mentioned, most songs about changing sasons I can think of are German children's songs.
One of them is Kuckuck, Kuckuck, rufts aus dem Wald. The cuckoo's cry as a sign for the arriving spring.
I found a translation of the first verse in English. But more important, it's a very simple song, ideal for learning the ukulele.
It has only two chords, F and C7, so even a beginner can strum along.
And those players, who are a little more advanced can play the melody, that I arranged in Campanella style.

This one from Sandy Denny.

First of all, huge thanks to Rusty for bringing this one along, and giving me a clue about how to play it. It has been a favourite of mine for years, not only the Sandy Denny/Fairport version, but also those by Judy Collins and, more recently, Kate Rusby. But I have never had a go at playing it.
So thanks to Rusty for inspiring me to have a try, and to Storm Ali, currently sweeping across the North of England, and the reason I have a free day at home to play around with a song - my usual day helping at an arboretum was called off in case trees landed on us.

I figured that I wouldn't be the first to do this, but since I worked a lot on it I still had to record it. Even if I am the third :)

Started practicing it for last years autumn theme, but left it as I din't learn it in time. Picked it up again a few weeks ago hoping for this chance, but still had to practice a few days to get this far. Still some flaws, but as good at it gets :)

Another short original tune accompanied by yet more leaves. I've been wondering what to do with this walking video for nigh on a year, thanks for inspiring me to write this tune to go with it Geoff.
Hope to get some more watching done tonight and tomorrow morning.

Season 344. Submission 2. "First Snow" A Turtledrum Original (Copyright Linda Opyr, 2018)

Geoff, this will be the last song I bring this week, so I want to thank you again for hosting and your fantastic theme.

I hope this one fits the bill as the first snow is often the way we mark the passing of fall into winter.

Anglo Saxon lyre, soprano uke, a bit of a vocal here for me. All in a nod to your love of traditional music, Geoff.

Season 344. Submission 2. "First Snow" A Turtledrum Original ............

Anglo Saxon lyre, soprano uke, a bit of a vocal here for me. All in a nod to your love of traditional music, Geoff.

Loved your song Linda.

Our lyrebird is so named because the male birds' display tail plumage resembles a traditional lyre. The male bird is a superb mimic and is able to copy and perform the calls of other birds as part of its display in the hope of attracting a mating partner - it even constructs a stage area. It now even copies modern sounds - car alarms, chainsaws, mechanical advancing cameras (when they once used film) etc....

It can be found on our 10c coin.
10cent.jpg

Loved your song Linda.

Our lyrebird is so named because the male birds' display tail plumage resembles a traditional lyre. The male bird is a superb mimic and is able to copy and perform the calls of other birds as part of its display in the hope of attracting a mating partner - it even constructs a stage area. It now even copies modern sounds - car alarms, chainsaws, mechanical advancing cameras (when they once used film) etc....

It can be found on our 10c coin.
View attachment 112114

Wow! That's some bird! Love the car alarm imitation. :)

thank you for the week, Geoff.
an original song for the season
played on Lesley's summerhouse uke.

Another collaboration here with Jon and Julie. Likely the last one I'll be able to do this week. Thanks again for hosting Geoff! This is a song I recently discovered and did at our local uke meetup. Also did a live take for SOTM on UAS Anonymous. Really fell in love with this song. Thanks to Jon and Julie for joining in and adding their magical touch ~

Top Bottom