Fishing line to south coast mapping or others

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hoping we can crowd source the mapping of south coast strings to the closest fisihing line or to another brand of strings.
Background: I have super tenor which likes low tension strings and I prefer keeping things at standard tunings. I am trying the SLMU-NW light gauge strings and it looks promising.
The goal here is to not find another string that works on 18 inch but to replicate what I have for future..

Hmm, I'm still not sure what you're asking. You want gCEA strings that will give low tension for 18" scale? I have SLMU for gCEA on my 16" scale super concert and I'd call them low to medium tension there. I would think you'd want to go at least a "notch" thinner, perhaps the SLU-NW set? But then you want to recreate that formula by different means? I asked a similar question here but have not embarked on the trials yet:
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?134398-Gone-Fishin-Fluorocarbon-Strings

The first thing you need to do is get accurate dimensions for each string diameter. That will at least give you an idea of what diameters you need to find. The next part is going to be tough. Since there are multiple manufacturers of fluorocarbon line (strings) and various grades among those manufacturers it may be a needle in a haystack.

I use fluorocarbon fishing leaders more and more. Usually Seaguar. But a number of years ago I got some cheaper fluorocarbon made by Mitsubishi. It plays and sounds different than the Seaguar. And therein lies the problem... Who makes what line that is the same as Southcoast?

John

Last edited:
The first thing you need to do is get accurate dimensions for each string diameter. That will at least give you an idea of what diameters you need to find. The next part is going to be tough. Since there are multiple manufacturers of fluorocarbon line (strings) and various grades among those manufacturers it may be a needle in a haystack.

I use fluorocarbon fishing leaders more and more. Usually Seaguar. But a number of years ago I got some cheaper fluorocarbon made by Mitsubishi. It plays and sounds different than the Seaguar. And therein lies the problem... Who makes what line that is the same as Southcoast?

John

Yup, I expect this journey to be long.. wonder if the surviving family of southcoast owner is willing to sell the IP for this..
Hoping that people report back to this thread if they do find a match..
Thus, trying to crowd source it, this is not a one man job.

Hmm, I'm still not sure what you're asking. You want gCEA strings that will give low tension for 18" scale? I have SLMU for gCEA on my 16" scale super concert and I'd call them low to medium tension there. I would think you'd want to go at least a "notch" thinner, perhaps the SLU-NW set? But then you want to recreate that formula by different means? I asked a similar question here but have not embarked on the trials yet:
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?134398-Gone-Fishin-Fluorocarbon-Strings

I am hoping that the vendor selection done for soutcoast strings is not lost..

Looks like 10 different suppliers with each string potentially being from a different source and material.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ukechat/2011/03/26/uke-chat
Also, based on my caliper the mm for the light set
G 0.712
C 0.823 mm
E 0.688
A 0.6
These seem closer to monofilament than fluorocarbon.
I can understand why the selection of source was a differentiator but I think of the business is closing they should sell that information or make it public.. any one know the right people?

Sheldra has posted here recently and I believe is still answering the sales@southcoastukes.com email address if you would like to pursue such an arrangement.

I’d have thought that the Estate should regard that as intellectual property first and seek interest from other string suppliers. Obviously it would be nice if the information was in the public domain, or atleast not lost but secured in some way for the future, but with that data who amongst us would want to buy the many reels of line required to make up string sets for ourselves?

Last edited:
Hi Kerneltime:

You can search for specs on fluorocarbon fishing leader (not fishing line). Here is a list of closest size leaders.

Availability is sparse for sizes above 50# but usually in-stock at the local Cabella or Bass Pro etc.

Fluorocarbon elasticity means that different thicknesses can achieve the same note but could sound slightly different.

Uke string makers have done the calculations and many experiments needed to formulate balanced string sets.

0.823mm:
SeaGuar 80# 0.81mm Blue, Red, Pink
Berkley 60# 0.81mm
Extreme 80# 0.81mm

0.688 0.712mm:
SeaGuar 50# 0.66mm Blue, Red, Pink
SeaGuar 60# 0.74mm Blue, Red, Pink
YoZuri 50# 0.71mm
HiSeas 50# 0.71mm
STS 50# 0.66mm
Extreme 50# 0.66mm
Extreme 60# 0.74mm

0.600mm:
SeaGuar 40# 0.57mm Premium
SeaGuar 40# 0.62mm Blue Red Pink
Berkley 40# 0.60mm
YoZuri 40# 0.62mm
HiSeas 40# 0.60mm
STS 40# 0.58mm
Extreme 40# 0.62mm

Based on availability and price, I ended up with Berkley basses and SeaGuar trebles for baritone uke, tenor guitar and banjo. I like the results (but have only compared to two of the available fluorocarbon string sets).

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi Kerneltime:

You can search for specs on fluorocarbon fishing leader (not fishing line). Here is a list of closest size leaders.

Availability is sparse for sizes above 50# but usually in-stock at the local Cabella or Bass Pro etc.

Fluorocarbon elasticity means that different thicknesses can achieve the same note but could sound slightly different.

Uke string makers have done the calculations and many experiments needed to formulate balanced string sets.

0.823mm:
SeaGuar 80# 0.81mm Blue, Red, Pink
Berkley 60# 0.81mm
Extreme 80# 0.81mm

0.688 0.712mm:
SeaGuar 50# 0.66mm Blue, Red, Pink
SeaGuar 60# 0.74mm Blue, Red, Pink
YoZuri 50# 0.71mm
HiSeas 50# 0.71mm
STS 50# 0.66mm
Extreme 50# 0.66mm
Extreme 60# 0.74mm

0.600mm:
SeaGuar 40# 0.57mm Premium
SeaGuar 40# 0.62mm Blue Red Pink
Berkley 40# 0.60mm
YoZuri 40# 0.62mm
HiSeas 40# 0.60mm
STS 40# 0.58mm
Extreme 40# 0.62mm

Based on availability and price, I ended up with Berkley basses and SeaGuar trebles for baritone uke, tenor guitar and banjo. I like the results (but have only compared to two of the available fluorocarbon string sets).

Cheers.

Thank you.
I think the lower tension variants are fresh water monofilaments, I have ordered a few that are close to the gauges from Tackledirect. Also, Dicks sells these per yard, plan to make a trip today. Will be using the info you pasted.

Top Bottom