View Poll Results: How do you support you uke when playing?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Traditional way, supported by the arm

12 17.14%
  • Resting of the lab/knee like a classical guitar

11 15.71%
  • Uke leash or other non-button strap

6 8.57%
  • Strap with one button and headstock attachment

15 21.43%
  • Strap with two buttons

26 37.14%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The strap poll!

I use only one strap button. I don't think there's enough pressure on the necks to be concerned about loosening the necks playing this way. I have no problem with drilling into the butts, but I don't want extra buttons on my necks. It's just a visual thing for me.
    I don't play strapless.....it's too controversial.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I don't play strapless.....it's too controversial.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Tricky poll to answer, I most often sit or stand, but I don't hold it the usual way, I mainly pick tunes, so I support the body with my little finger normally, & pick with my thumb.

If I do strum, I guess I use my arm to hold the butt end - but I do have strap buttons on most of my ukes, one on the heel, & one on the butt, but tend to just use the one on the heel, with a strap looped around my neck, if I put a strap on.
    Last edited by Croaky Keith; 09-17-2018 at 06:04 AM.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Always use 2 buttons, if it doesn't have, I add them myself even on vintage or very expensive, got to have them.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 9 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Multiple possible choices would be good for people who use more than one support.

I voted my preferred way if every choice is available, but I actually use multiple methods depending on the uke.
    My current stable:

(Son of Snaggletooth) Romero Creations Tiny Tenor Spruce & Rosewood
    (Coco) Hanknn Koa Concert
    (Spruce Bringsteen) Burks Spruce Soprano
    (bootleg) aNueNue pineapple Concert
    (Toothless) IZ thinbody soprano w/ pickup
    (Lucky-Lefty) Decca Mahogany 1960 Soprano

What kitsunegarcia said; it depends on a) the instrument, and b) how long I'm playing.

I never use a strap on a banjo uke, for example, regardless of how I hold it., but I also never - ever- tie anything to the tuning head.

-Kurt
    Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman G-I-T-D * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert *
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke * FireFly banjo uke
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22 * Kala KA-KTG-CT Cedar Top
    Cordoba 20TM * 1950's Harmony soprano *1920's era Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Always two. A must do for me.

Besides having my hands free when I'm standing, having a strap prevents me from dropping my ukulele. Like to turn a page or adjust a mike, or drink my beer. I almost dumped it to the floor sitting the other night—the uke, not the beer. Prevented by the strap. I'm kinda clumsy at times.

I have plenty to think about while I'm playing. Holding onto my uke isn't one of them. A strap just makes playing a little bit easier for me.

Oh, I play tenor ukes. Almost exclusively. I have a strap on my banjolele & my Ohana soprano. (Purchased for my wife. But she doesn't play it.)

These kind of polls seldom give any real poll about the way how ukulele players hold they instrument. Just who happens to participate.

I like it without any, but it is to me ok to have a strap. A lightweight instrument that can have a lots of support that way.

About guitar, the straps suck for me totally. Classical guitar, no way. An acoustic guitar, no other way than play without a strap at home. A solid body electric, in that case something like fly V model needs a strap definately. But who wants no support a furniture in their daily play? And standing up?

For me as told above I prefer ukes straples, but can't deny the advantage of one, because typically you won't get same support as to a guitar sitting. But to grap an uke and just start strumming, I prefer just take it, also I don't have to worry if the strap fails.
    Last edited by Jarmo_S; 09-19-2018 at 07:12 AM.

Thread Information