have you played a LoPrinzi baritone?

DaveY

Reaction score
I ask because I'm wondering what you thought of it, and also what wood(s) it was made of. Online, I've seen all-mahogany, all-cherry, and a (custom) spruce top on a maple body. I've heard sound samples of the mahogany and the spruce, but not the cherry. They also offer a koa version, according to their site.

If anyone has played all three, then I'd love to read your thoughts on the three, and how they compare.

Or thoughts on any one of them. Thx . . .

I have no experience with LoPrinzi, but I am keenly interested in finding out about them. I have a friend with a LoPrinzi Tenor, all mahogany, and it plays nice, sounds good and has good fit and finish. I am seriously thinking about a step up to a LoPrinzi Baritone.

I actually have one on the way right now and once it ships and arrives, I'd love to share my impressions. I put in a build request about six months ago and just found out it's been completed, and hopefully it'll be shipping out this week. It's a koa baritone with a couple of customizations.

This is a completely sight-unseen purchase. I've played LoPrinzi tenors in a few different woods, but never a baritone. I loved how light and responsive their tenors seemed, particularly the koa models I played, but I'm not really in the market for any more tenors at this point and wanted to get a great baritone instead.

Looking forward to sharing once it shows up!

Congratulations on the LoPrinzi Baritone El Viejo. I am quite excited to hear your thoughts on your new instrument.
Hopefully you will share a sound sample with us also. :music:

I am excited for you, acquiring a Loprinzi Baritone! Will be looking forward to a possible review! Have fun!

I used to own a LoPrinzi baritone, spruce top with Rosewood body. I sold that due to Baritone is just not my size. But the uke itself is great. It was very light, lighter than some of my tenors. Deep resonance and the tone is almost guitar like. Workmanship is top notch. You can't go wrong with a LoPrinzi.

El Viejo, I'm looking forward to seeing -- and I hope, hearing -- your new baritone (but probably not as much as you are).

Lapyang, from what I've heard, I like the spruce top more than the all-mahogany, which to me -- on a baritone -- can sound too bass-y, boomy. But I'm also interested in the cherry model, which I'm guessing would sound not as bright/clear as the spruce, but brighter/clearer than the mahogany. (I'm new to baritone, and the jury is still kind of out; I think the LoPrinzi neck might make playing it more comfortable for me.)

The cherry bari is listed as a "regular" option on the LoPrinzi site, while I've seen the spruce top only on the site of an online ukulele dealer.

I have a customized Loprinzi concert in cedar/rosewood. If you contact them with your sound questions, they will give you an opinion. I had lots of questions when I ordered mine and they were quick to answer & give me advice on choices. My build was fall of last year & took about 12 weeks with several customized/upgraded features.

I have a customized Loprinzi concert in cedar/rosewood. If you contact them with your sound questions, they will give you an opinion. I had lots of questions when I ordered mine and they were quick to answer & give me advice on choices. My build was fall of last year & took about 12 weeks with several customized/upgraded features.

Thanks, RG – did you communicate by email, or phone? I've tried email twice, and it worked the first time (which is a better percentage than a lot of places).

Thanks, RG – did you communicate by email, or phone? I've tried email twice, and it worked the first time (which is a better percentage than a lot of places).
All by email. Looking back at my emails, Donna responded within 1-3 days. She gave me her opinion on the different wood choices & answered my questions about upgrades & custom stuff. There were a few weeks when she was preparing for & attending a ukulele festival that email responses weren't as quick. However, she let me know about that ahead of time. I was impressed that I got a custom build in 12 weeks during the fall/Christmas holiday season.

My upgrades were .....Gotoh UPT tuners, and Ebony fingerboard & bridge.
My custom features .....non-standard nut width, extra fret markers, choice of rosette & purling, maple binding, satin finish, and MiSi pick-up.
Loprinzi ukes come with very nice hard shell cases. If I remember right, that's standard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom