Bling

The only "bling" for me and my simple tastes is the natural looks of the wood grains. Excess abalone (other than a modest rosette, perhaps) is like the overdone "look-at-me" makeup of a painted whore, and inlaid designs remind me of garish tattoos and body piercings. (I've never worn makeup or gotten tattooed, either, and the only things I have pierced are my earlobes, FWIW_)

bratsche

Well, I suppose we must do what we must do. I like fun decoration, and, a long time ago. I was very interested in painted whores. I would, even now, like a garish tattoo—musical of course, but I draw the line at them and piercings because I’m too chicken for either.

Apparently, woodgrain is what for UUers, and it really is nice . . . and understated. :eek:ld:

I usta really like bling, a lot. I was distracted by shiny and fancy. Not anymore.
Probably because nowadays I tend to play the snot outta my ukes. They are scratched up and can get pretty dirty. My favorite bling is contrasting woods (heartwood and sapwood like my cocobolo) and fancy fretboard side markers.
Maybe even contrasting purfling, but that's about it for me.
I'd rather wear my bling.

Buying a new or 2nd hand Uke sight unseen or commissioning one from a Luthier is a leap of faith always. Living on the edge of the known universe I have always had to make that leap. Luckily I have never been disappointed.

I know the feeling sharing the tyranny of distance with you. With the selection locally being pretty limited almost all my ukes have been purchased because of how they look, fingers crossed when they arrive. No bad ukes but a few that haven't suited my playing style.

Well, all, at least I have answers to my questions. UUers mostly like different nice woods and a very nice sound. I just wondered why most looked askance at decoration.

And, again, I am playing to a different strummer. Thanks for all your answers. :eek:ld:

I did come across this on Alibaba once. I believe they do gold also. I did try to contact the supplier but they weren't interested in selling me just one.

Otherwise I would have so bought one ;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 21.42.43.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 21.42.43.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 15
I like more decorative than less, but I have my limits, though I did buy a uke with fish inlays on the fretboard that I wouldn't normally do, but I liked everything else about it. My tendency is to go for more figured woods, finish color, binding, fret markers and rosette. I've been thinking about a myrtle uke styled a little differently as well, mockup at the bottom.

1 Ukulele All.jpg

Myrtle leaf hole dual 800.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 6 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
Top Bottom