Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One note always sounds out of tune

Question One note always sounds out of tune

I'm a complete beginner, using the Yousician app to learn ukulele on a Makala Dolphin soprano. I've been getting along quite well, but for some reason whenever I play the note at the second fret of the C string (D, presumably) it sounds out of tune. I've tuned the ukulele before playing and every other note sounds fine, on that string and the others!

When I play along to songs on Yousician almost every D note that I play gets marked as wrong, even though I'm definitely at the right fret. Any ideas for what I'm doing wrong?

Also, somewhat off-topic to my original question - is the concert size better for learning on than soprano?

Thank you.

What does your tuner say?
    Regards,
    Michael
    BrŁko Soprano #4

Quote Originally Posted by mmn View Post
    What does your tuner say?
    It confirms all four strings are in tune.

Can you check that one note with your tuner? Not the open string, that particular note. Use the chromatic setting.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by poorlittlefish View Post
    I'm a complete beginner, using the Yousician app to learn ukulele on a Makala Dolphin soprano. I've been getting along quite well, but for some reason whenever I play the note at the second fret of the C string (D, presumably) it sounds out of tune. I've tuned the ukulele before playing and every other note sounds fine, on that string and the others!

When I play along to songs on Yousician almost every D note that I play gets marked as wrong, even though I'm definitely at the right fret. Any ideas for what I'm doing wrong?

Also, somewhat off-topic to my original question - is the concert size better for learning on than soprano?

Thank you.
    Iíve had at least two Dolphins and they played perfectly in tune after I set them up, before the set-up they didnít and I wonít expect them (or any other mass produced Uke) to either. Has your Uke been set up and if so what does that phrase mean to you?

When fretted, is the note sharp or flat?
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Change the stock strings and if that does not fix it, you can diy the setup looking at tutorials on YouTube (the only reason being the cost of the uke vs cost of setup). Mostly you will have to adjust the nut..
    If you can return it, the buy the same uke from uke republic who setup dolphins before shipping and price the uke at the same as what others charge.
    I had the same route as a beginner and I had a makala dolphin + Yousician start.. I had the same problem with the D note. I bought a higher end uke and learnt about setup later, I did a diy setup later and it did fix the problem..
    for beginner what ever gets you to play more.. if soprano is more portable then soprano, if the sound of concert is more pleasing and will make you pick up the uke more often..then concert..

Also, be sure you’re not pressing too hard, the dreaded gorilla grip. Try testing it with a tuner, flat on a table, and press lightly.
    John

Thanks all. It's heartening to hear I'm not the only one who's experienced this problem. The D note always sounds flat and I don't what "set up" means. I just thought that once you'd tuned the strings that was it.

That would be true if the setup was done on a uke.. cheap ukes are not quite there in terms of setup
    Summary: http://www.theukulelereview.com/2011...ukulele-setup/

Thread Information