Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermediate uke?

Default Intermediate uke?

Hey everyone, I feel as if I've outgrown my Kala dolphin. I'm thinking of purchasing a Luna Tattoo, but am open to suggestions. I'd like another soprano, and under $50, if that's possible.
    Any suggestions will be welcomed!
    Regards,
    Rosendust
    -Makala Dolphin Soprano-AKA "Ludo"
    Kala-15S(Soprano)-AKA "Treble"
    Started playing in June 2018
    Please call me Dixie
    I play left handed.

i bought a couple of Koloa sopranos (KU-300) for about $60 off Ebay and I'm happy with them
    they are solid Mahogany tops and Mahogany Laminate sides and back.
    they resemble Martin sopranos and sound decent to me as I lead song circles and give lessons.
    [[I have also just purchased a Koloa Concert (KU-320) also with solid Mahogany top and laminate
    sides and back. This one cost over $200, so the sopranos can be real bargains at about $60 each.
    I'm hoping the concert will provide me with as much satisfaction as the sopranos have so far
    The poor man's "Martin Concert"?]] UPDATE: the sale was cancelled by the seller - out of stock.

Anyway, the Koloa KU-300, in my experience, appears to be a good solid (intermediate?) upgrade.
    Again, Solid mahogany top with laminate mahogany sides and back.

keep uke'in',
    Last edited by Uncle Rod Higuchi; 09-20-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Rosendust View Post
    Hey everyone, I feel as if I've outgrown my Kala dolphin. I'm thinking of purchasing a Luna Tattoo, but am open to suggestions. I'd like another soprano, and under $50, if that's possible.
    Any suggestions will be welcomed!
    Regards,
    Rosendust
    Personally, if I was looking to upgrade from a Dolphin, I'd be looking at ukuleles going for at least $150 and probably $200. Otherwise, you will just end up with a ukulele that is not a whole lot better than what you already own.

P.s. I own a Luna tattoo. I wouldn't recommend them.

I like the Luna tattoo myself, but is more than $50. What is there available locally that you can try.
    LaCole
    LACole
    Laurie Ann Cole

Northern UK20 Concert Mahogany
    Beaver Creek Maple Flame Tenor
    Eddy Finn EF-Moon Concert
    Beaver Creek Soprano Mahogany

An upgrade - or just something different?

I'd be looking at Kala or Ohana for an upgrade, & a solid wood, or at least a solid top.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I don't think that you'll be getting an upgrade (or much of one) if you are limiting yourself to $50. You'd just be getting yourself another beginners uke. If you've been playing long enough to know that you like the ukulele and are going to stick with it then invest in yourself a bit and get a uke you won't grow tired of quickly. I agree with the advice above. Look in the $150 to $200 range. Shoot for a solid top if not an all solid wood uke and Ohana or Kala are great places to start.
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Kala KA-ZCT-C - all-laminate ziricote, walnut fretboard, satin neck

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

I once had a Luna tattoo, the pineapple soprano model. I was not impressed, sold it again.

I would also go for something nicer.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

You have not defined upgrade.. if you want a better sounding, better playing uke you will have to increase your budget.
    That said, I found the flight ukes at Gryphon quite nice.

It's so hard to define the range of "intermediate" ukuleles. It could be anything between a Hilo and a Moore Bettah for example. (Not to overly disparage Hilos or place Moore's fine instruments on too high of a pedestal.)
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1
    Martin T1K

Kmise;
    https://www.amazon.com/Kmise-Beginne...70_&dpSrc=srch

These are quite nice for the money. IMO
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Thread Information