High End Gig Bag

I'm similar - had the Reunion Blues Continental, and it was great, but just a bit bulky, and really quite large for my tenor.

My Mono M80 feels ALMOST as protective (the RB Continental is basically a case), and way lighter and a better fit. Despite the 1 strap which I wear cross-body, I can bike to work with it with zero concern. Wearing the RB felt kinda like going backpacking for a long weekend lol. I've also flown with the M80 and had no problem with it in the overhead.

I have a MONO bag for my bass, and would totally shell out for the Vertigo uke bag if I had any need for it. (Maybe I should buy a new concert uke so I can have a reason to buy the bag...)

IMG_2380.jpg

Last edited:
I'm similar - had the Reunion Blues Continental, and it was great, but just a bit bulky, and really quite large for my tenor.

My Mono M80 feels ALMOST as protective (the RB Continental is basically a case), and way lighter and a better fit. Despite the 1 strap which I wear cross-body, I can bike to work with it with zero concern. Wearing the RB felt kinda like going backpacking for a long weekend lol. I've also flown with the M80 and had no problem with it in the overhead.

I have a MONO bag for my bass, and would totally shell out for the Vertigo uke bag if I had any need for it. (Maybe I should buy a new concert uke so I can have a reason to buy the bag...)

View attachment 112299

The Mono 80 is definitely not as bulky but I much prefer backpack straps to a single strap and for $69.99, I think the RB Continental is a great value.

Mitch

Totally agree. That's like the most protection/$ that you can find, certainly in what still qualifies as a bag!

My RB Continental Tenor bag arrived this morning. My first impressions:-
Rugged - material and zippers are amazing.
Lining is well done.
Lots of protection.
Thicker than the semi solid, Uke Crazy type, due to shoulder straps and long pouch on the front - heavier too.
Comfortable to carry - well balanced.
I have a Mele/Braddah tenor in it and the fit is excellent.

All that said, and it is a great traveling case/bag, I am not sure that I shall keep it - so if anyone is interested, please PM me.

My Blackbird Farallon came with a Reunion Blues RBX Tenor Gig Bag, and I would heartily NOT recommend it to anyone. The neck cradle is way too high, and there is no strap to hold the neck onto the cradle, so your uke flops around inside the case. Not sure based on price whether it is supposed to be a step up or down from the Continental, but the Continental looks to be a much better case.

54e29384c6703.400.jpg

My Blackbird Farallon came with a Reunion Blues RBX Tenor Gig Bag, and I would heartily NOT recommend it to anyone. The neck cradle is way too high, and there is no strap to hold the neck onto the cradle, so your uke flops around inside the case. Not sure based on price whether it is supposed to be a step up or down from the Continental, but the Continental looks to be a much better case.

54e29384c6703.400.jpg

Agree, It was one of the bags I returned and did not think it was worth the $$.

Mitch

Over the last couple of weeks I obsessed a bit over which would be the best gig bag for me. I purchased a few and returned all but one.

1. Reunion Blues Continental Series - Probably the most protective and a very good value at the discounted price of $69.99. However, it is very bulky and IMO, too large. Returned.

2. Reunion Blues RBX - A newer, less expensive gig bag that is selling for non-discounted price of $89.95. IMO, it did not offer anywhere near enough protection and was not a good value. Returned.

3. Mono M80 - A nicely made bag and good size. Priced @ $149, I was considering keeping it until I received the Gator. Returned.

4. Gator Pro Go - A nicely made bag and also a good size that IMO, is just about as nice as the Mono 80 and priced @ $79.99. This one I kept.

I hoped this is helpful.

Mitch

I too have been impressed with the Gator gig bags.
I wanted a low profile concert case and opted for the less expensive Gator bag below the one you got
$30 I believe.

I'm using a double tennis racket bag and wanted to carry both a soprano and a concert but not 2 bulky hard
cases. I also attached a dual-shoulder backpack strap system from a small golf bag.

Anyway, I can now carry both ukes in soft, but substantial gig bags inside the tennis racket bag in a hands-free
set up. I'm now looking for a similar but smaller form factor double tennis racket case, as both the soprano and
the concert cases are swimming in the current bag I'm using. That said, I have room for a music stand and books, even a tablet and other essentials.

Anyway, I like the Gator gig bags, both the $30 and the $80 as they are slimmer but still provide good protection.

Okay, I've read all of this and kept debating if I'd even enter the conversation. But, since the discussion is continuing, I'll share: I'm gonna stick with my Fusion Urban for traveling with my Moore Bettah tenors (one at a time--this is not the *double* uke bag).

I definitely prefer the backpack straps rather than shoulder strap because it keeps my hands totally free and looks better on a female ukulele bag wearer for many reasons, most of it being the way a side body strap cuts across the chest. I carried this bag exclusively this summer for lots of schlepping up and down Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki between gigs (oooh, experience dropping here :cool:) and it's the one I chose (I sold my Reunion Blues Continental) because it has *big* enough pockets to even hold a 9.4-inch iPad (with all my songsheets), a stabilizer for the neck, oodles of variability in setting up interior padding to accommodate various uke body shapes, a nicely padded and comfy handle in case you don't want to use the straps-- and it's easy to wear. Truly.

Be aware that I am a "real" backpacker (as in, hiking in mountainous areas populated by bear, mountain lion, chipmunks and other dangerous creatures) and my predilection for backpack straps may be ingrained too deep for me to appreciate a shoulder-strap carry bag. Also be aware that regardless of what case I carry when I fly, I *always, always, always* place my ukulele/case in the overhead *across* from my seat so I can watch it more easily during the boarding process (IOW, don't put it directly overhead--you can't see it easily if someone is placing a hefty piece of wheeled luggage in the same overhead bin).

I do wish the Fusion Urban didn't have the lime-green zipper pulls. It clashes with so many of my outfits...

It's pricey--but I kept checking on the Amazon page until I spotted it as available (as an unused return) from the Amazon Warehouse--it was just under $100 USD.

Thanks for jumping in Tonya. Of course, the Fusion is the one I didn't try and may have to now! I also prefer the backpack straps but can live with a single strap.

Mitch

Last edited:
I had a special moment tonight when I discovered that the Mono M80 actually can be used with backpack straps. I just added a spare strap (from a Cordoba bag), connecting the unused ring at the top of the bag the other other (unused) ring at the bottom (with the other bottom ring for the built-in strap). It looks a little odd, but it's actually very comfortable and effective. 20181002_235456 (2).jpg

I'm pretty sure this is gonna snag me one of them MacArthur Grants next year . . .

I use a Fusion Urban bag for my Kamaka baritone. It's a little bulky, but I would trade sleekness for protection any day. And it has backpack straps, which I like.

For tenor ukuleles, including high end ukes, I use a Crossrock hardshell case. It's not exactly a gig bag, but it's made out of a sturdy plastic and is a lot lighter than most hard cases. It doesn't come with backpack straps but it has D rings to accommodate backpack straps, and backpack straps are inexpensive. Unfortunately, Crossrock doesn't make baritone hardshell cases.

My only complaints with the Crossrock cases are (1) there's no neck strap to secure the ukulele, but the inside padding prevents my ukes from jiggling inside the case, and (2) there's limited storage and no outside pockets, although I can fit some stuff like strings and a restringing tool and a tuner in the little compartment near the neck, and I cover that compartment with a wiping cloth, and I can fold an ukulele strap and place it under the headstock. It's not ideal, but I prioritize protection and carrying ease over storage. I hoe to figure out how to install a velcro strap at the neck cradle.

Here's the Amazon listing for Crossrock hardshell cases.
https://www.amazon.com/Crossrock-CRA400TUSL-Zippered-Hardshell-Lock-Silver/dp/B00OHLNVAY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1538695898&sr=8-4&keywords=crossrock+ukulele+case

And here's a listing for padded backpack straps that I clip onto the Crossrock case's D rings.
http://musichouse.com/bobelock-instrument-case-back-pack-strap/

Last edited:
Do you know how thick the padding is in the Gator Pro go tenor gigbag? Haven't been able to find that info on line. The other specs are available but not the thickness of the padding

I just found a brand new Mono M80 on Reverb for $70! The seller had bought it and then never used it. I can’t wait to get it, at $70 it was an amazing deal!

I really love the Crossrock Hybrid cases (400 series I think); they're aluminium (aka aluminum ;)) covered with plastic, close with a zipper but are as sturdy as any hardcase; weight is much lighter than typical hardcases.

I wouldn't recommend standing on them, or running over them with a car, but apart from that they will survive pretty much anything, including being dropped from a considerable height.
And, of course and more importantly, the ukulele inside survives too! ;)

They have attachment points for two straps, so you can carry it backpack-style; they used to come with only one strap included, but lately they've added a second one.

They seem to be one of those rare companies that actually listen to customer feedback and improve things from year to year. I've read a load of their Amazon reviews, and most of the issues mentioned in the older ones (no instructions for lock, no second strap etc) have now been fixed.

I travel by train & long distance bus a lot (I'm in Europe); usually, I use the Crossrock Hybrid for the journey, and also take a gig bag (the slimmer Fusion ones are great) in my suitcase, for use during festivals.

Last edited:
Hi Booksniffer have got a link to a stockist for Crossrock in UK or Europe please ?

Hi Booksniffer have got a link to a stockist for Crossrock in UK or Europe please ?

Django, I got one of mine from Amazon (.co.uk or .de, not sure) and the other one from here: https://www.ukulele-shop.de/zubehoer/koffer-und-gigbags/

It might also be worth asking the Southern Ukulele Store about them; they have fiberglass Crossrocks sometimes, and might be able to order other models.

Also check with Crossrock themselves; I've found them very helpful with email enquiries

Top Bottom