Have you ever purchased a uke based on looks alone?

That's beautiful wood.

The wood grain was so striking on this one I fell in love with it almost as soon as I saw it. I bought it without ever having touched it trusting the Kala name to deliver a nice sounding uke. I wasn't disappointed when I got my hands on it so I'm very pleased with the purchase.

I have to modify my answer. I did buy a gorgeous Kanile'a K-1T Premium curly koa tenor. But i am very familiar with the K-1T and knew it would sound as good as it looks.

These are the seller's photos and they don't do it justice. The colors shimmer and change. It's an orange-brown golden tiger striped effect that changes in the light and angle you're looking at it.

Butt jack.jpgFront.jpgBack closeup.jpgThree Quarter left.jpg

Last edited:
I have to modify my answer. I did buy a gorgeous Kanile'a K-1T Premium curly koa tenor. But i am very familiar with the K-1T and knew it would sound as good as it looks.

These are the seller's photos and they don't do it justice. The colors shimmer and change. It's an orange-brown golden tiger striped effect that changes in the light and angle you're looking at it.

View attachment 112620View attachment 112621View attachment 112622View attachment 112623

Gorgeous! Congrats!

How many of you have purchased a uke based on looks alone?

How about 80% "looks"? Price and size/scale and availability are limitations that have to be considered. Beyond that, as a beginner I don't really have an "ear" for quality, and the people doing the demo videos for HMS make everything sound spectacular. So after clearing the hurdle of "reputation" we get to desire: beautiful woods and inlays and proportions and details are what makes the money jump out of the wallet. ;)

Top Bottom