Hello from bright, sunny, Seattle(ish)!

Arcy

Strummin' in the Rain
Reaction score
(that sun may not last)

Hi all! Been lurking for a while and figured I should say "hi". So: Hi!

I started putting together a StewMac Tenor kit a couple of months ago (delayed by a minor but blocking workshop accident) and a Fender Venice to try to figure out how to play while working on the kit.

I've been having a blast with that and occasionally start feeling almost competent before catching my strum on the strings and coming back down to earth ;)

Been enjoying reading the backlogs here between playing and learning a lot from you all! Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!! Would love to hear your thoughts on the StewMac kit.

Thanks all!

So far I haven't gotten far enough into the StewMac kit to have much of an opinion. I got the first steps laid out dry then hurt my back (irony: assembling an ergo-desk!) and had a closet full of blown glass collapse before I got to the gluing. I'm mostly healed, the closet's all cleaned out, and the shelves are replaced, so I hope to get my workbench back as a work surface rather than as temporary storage this weekend and I hope to get back started on the kit next weekend.

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your time here!

Hi Arcy from the equally sunny balmy (ish) north east of England. Sorry I have no idea what a stellar tenor kit is, I'm assuming it's a built it yourself ukulele kit but that's just a wild stab in the dark, I'm probably way off. Also just had to reply to the fluffing your strumming thing, I hate that too and do it often, it's always when your doing really great too. Either that or it seems it all you do sometimes when you pick up for a little play time and your finger just wants to jam itself between the strings and refuses to behave. So frustrating! Lately as I have a toddler sleeping I've been playing very softly strumming with my thumb which I don't normally do and play with my fingernail style, and I find that I usually play better and more smoothly. Don't know if it's because I'm being more deliberately calm trying to be quiet or that I'm playing so smoothly because I'm intentionally trying to or that I slow down too. I don't know what or why but it just seems to be is all. I never liked the thumb style but I have to say I'm learning to appreciate it's qualities lately. X

Welcome, Arcy!

when you've completed your uke, please come and join us (STRUM - Seattles Totally Relaxed Ukulele Musicians)
every Wed, 6-8p, at the Kona Kitchen Restaurant, 85th and 5th NE about a mile south of Northgate Mall.

There are Eastside uke groups and some of the members come to Kona as well so you could meet them if you
prefer to stay on the East side :)

keep uke'in',

Hi and Aloha Arcy. Welcome to UU, glad you joined in.

I’d love to see some “in progress “ pics. I did a kit uke that I lovingly refer to as “ the log “. Sounds good but heavy. Lots of fun doing it anyway.

Enjoy the journey

Thanks Dollyblot! Your stab was well aimed. Stewart-MacDonald (aka "StewMac") is one of the major luthier supply shops in the US. They have a series of build-your own instrument kits as well as all of the from-scratch supplies and tools.

I definitely have a sweet spot between warmed up and too tired where my strumming clicks. With practice I expect the time in that spot to grow usefully large :)

Thanks Uncle Rod! I'll try to make it up there, but I work in Issaquah and that may not be a feasible trip at that hour. The Eastside groups will be much easier

Thanks Vanflynn! I'm still digging out before I can get going on it. I'll post progress once I have some ;)

Thanks much for the intro! I joined tonight's ESUPA jam and had a great time. Wonderful bunch of people!

Top Bottom