Low G Low G - Wound

All things related to linear-tuned ukuleles

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I had to decide on low G with Worth Browns or a wound low G and Aquila fluorocarbon for a tenor uke. Based on things I had read about negatives of thick G-strings, I chose the wound. The uke won't be finished for over a month, so I can change the order. The wound is supposedly "squeak-free."

Any opinions?

Last edited:
I don't like wound strings......:p

Depending on scale length, a wound low string can work well on a tenor or baritone, but I certainly wouldn't put one on anything smaller. :)

It might be squeak-less, but I have yet to meet a squeak-free. It’s personal preference of course, but given the fact that I like unwound low D on my baritone, I don’t find unwound low G thick at all. In either case I’m not a big fan of Aquilas but again, that’s personal preference.

One consideration if you aren’t sure is that if the nut is designed for wound, it may be impossible to fit an unwound. Whereas the opposite may not be a problem. It wouldn’t be “ideal” either but is more likely to work

Go with the Fremont Soloist low G...they’re wound but only .030 so minimal nut widening. I usually play high G but I’ve had them on some high-end tenors and they sound great.
Cheers!

Go with the Fremont Soloist low G...they’re wound but only .030 so minimal nut widening. I usually play high G but I’ve had them on some high-end tenors and they sound great.
Cheers!

I agree. The Fremont Soloist low G is terrific. Very minimal string squeak but sounds great on my Kala Tenor in combination with Worth Browns.

Cheers!

Agree too. Fremont soloist is great if you’re going Low G.

Another vote for the Fremont soloist. My favorite string set is a Living Waters all fluorocarbon low G, but my second best is a Fremont soloist low G with the rest fluorocarbon (Oasis usually). The Fremont has the advantage of having a bit more tension than the Living Waters low G, which can feel a bit floppy at times.

Yep either a Fremont Soloist or T-Infeld CF30 for wound.

Add a T-Infeld CF27(wound C) with flurocarbon trebles is a good combo. I have the. CF30, CF27 with Savarez Alliance trebles on a Moore Bettah now. They cost about the same as the South Coast HML-WB were.

It's the closet I've found to replace the Southcoast HML-WB set.

Last edited:
Another for the Fremont Soloist. It is the only low G I have put on my Tenors, so I cannot speak from experience regarding other makes. But what I can say is to my ears they sound and feel great.
Mike

Cheers!

I Looked up Freemont soloist, and I saw that I had it bookmarked at Elderly. I'll have to get some of them.

EDIT: I ordered four, but when I went to check out, they said they had only two, with two on backorder. I changed the order to two strings, but the total was too small, so the order wouldn't go through. Funny. So now I'll receive two in a few days and the other two when they come in.

Last edited:
Wound strings are technically superior when you move into the thicker gauge strings. Some players accept compromises and poorer intonation because they really don't like the feel of wound strings.

A technically "perfect" string, if one existed would be absolutely flexible and vibrate as theory dictates. In the real world strings don't vibrate exactly as theory dictates and the stiffer a string gets the less it vibrates as theory dictates. Wound strings are a technique to obtain the mass needed for the lower pitched strings while still maintaining good flexibility.

A plain gauge string with the same mass of a wound string will be considerably stiffer and therefore not intonate (play in tune up the neck) as well as the wound string.

Yep either a Fremont Soloist or T-Infeld CF30 for wound.

Add a T-Infeld CF27(wound C) with flurocarbon trebles is a good combo. I have the. CF30, CF27 with Savarez Alliance trebles on a Moore Bettah now. They cost about the same as the South Coast HML-WB were.

It's the closet I've found to replace the Southcoast HML-WB set.

I like your thinking Patrick! I have that T-Infeld combo on a few ukes including a Moore Bettah. I also have the Fremont with Oasis brights on a couple...………..it is also a nice combo.

Thanks Steve,I think the Fremont set with Oasis was from Chuck Moore. Or, it was the T-I's, I forget. DownupDave also recommended the setup. I have one set of the SC HML-WB left and am reluctant to use them for some reason.

Thanks Steve,I think the Fremont set with Oasis was from Chuck Moore. Or, it was the T-I's, I forget. DownupDave also recommended the setup. I have one set of the SC HML-WB left and am reluctant to use them for some reason.

Hi Pat

Chuck(MB strings) and Andrew(Ko'olau Aho) both use a different E and A string they are not Oasis..
Andrew uses a Soloist Low G with T-I wound C while Chuck uses the T-I G and C string....

here are the Ko'olau Aho sets five options and some samples

https://www.theukulelesite.com/acce...aho-tenor-fluorocarbon-strings-5-options.html

Last edited:
Since I've just changed up in experimentation with low g myself, let me add Pepe Romero's low g set for tenor ukulele. I just put a set on my Beau Hannam and even though they are still stretching I find them excellent for virtually nonexistent squeaking. In combo with the clarity and ring of the treble strings, this set is a winner I think. I have also used the T-I G and C strings in combo with Oasis trebles and like them very much.

I'm a huge fan of wound bass strings, and generally prefer two wounds and two other for trebles. In your original post you said you had to choose between two sets. A lot of us buy single strings and make our own sets. If you like Worth browns, then try wound G with Worth browns on C E and A. Even better, at some point I strongly recommend trying Thomastik Infeld CF30/CF27 with whatever trebles are your favorites, such as Worth browns. My personal experience has led me to believe that each uke responds differently and so I experiment with different combinations until I find what works best for me on each instrument. I'm a huge fan of nylon trebles these days and I keep 4 or 5 different gauges of E and A strings on hand to accommodate different scale lengths. Sorry if this a bit wordy :)

I recently put Pepe Romero tenors on my Kala Elite Koa. AMAZING! Previously Living Waters have been my go to strings. A couple of observations. Living Water sound wonderful on both my mahogany tenors but fell flat on my Koa tenor. Pepe Romero do a lot of stretching but do eventually settle in. The A string is wound much tighter than the others but none of the strings, including the A, are hard on your fingers. The low g does not over power the other strings and is definitely low squeak. Just my two cents worth.
I also tested Aquila Sugars and D’Addario EJ65TLG w/low g’s for tenors. Both fell short of LW and PR.
Here is a review I posted on Pepe Romero if you are interested. https://youtu.be/NAs1C7_HJG4

Last edited:
Top Bottom