Banjo tuning on a baritone?

LarryS

Reaction score
My Bari is currently tuned DGBE,(low D) but I fancy putting it in banjo tuning, the usual 4 string banjo tunings being GDAE or CGDA(tho DGBE is also mentioned on a site I found)
Anyone else do this and how did it go?

My baritone is tuned GDAE :)
The E string remains the same (obviously)
The A string is the original B string tuned down a tone.
The D string can be the original D string if it'll reach the tuner, else use the string of similar diameter from a set of nylon guitar strings.
The G string is an "E" string from a set of nylon guitar strings.

Works for me :) Doubtless others will be along with more expensive options ;)

YMMV :music:

Cool. The other tuning, which I found on youtube, is CGBD, which is easier to tune to.

Everything I have is tuned in fifths, mostly CGDA. It's comfortable.
As far as the baritone goes, it's size is midway between the tenor uke and the tenor guitar. My tenor ukes sound fine as CGDA and the tenor guitar was built for that tuning,

Cool. The other tuning, which I found on youtube, is CGBD, which is easier to tune to.

CGBD : For me, this tuning is very much associated with a 5-string banjo, 'cept you wouldn't have the advantage of the drone string on a ukulele.

For "completion" one could include DGBD and DGBE (haven't I seen that somewhere before?) as "partial "banjo tunings, but both would normally have a fifth string for that "let the banjos ring" sound ;)

Tried GDAE on one of my baritone but didnt keep it in that tuning for long. I didnt care for the floppy tension on the strings, or the tone. I also found that chord shapes were too much of a stretch and had to use mostly three fingered ones. It really just made me want to pick up my mandolin. Its compact size and narrow neck make it much more ideal for fifths tuning, for me.

Steel strings on a ukulele? They might cause more tension on the saddle and structure of the ukulele then it was designed for.

Yea I have been inspired to get my mando out too, that needs a set up doing.

Top Bottom