notch the saddle

Not on regular fixed bridges. However it is a simple way to lower the action rather than file the whole saddle down. Of course you might be talking about floating bridges where you have a tailpiece a fair distance from the bridge or which is not designed to space the strings properly, in which case it becomes necessary to maintain string spacing. I build that way a lot.

Thanks for the replies,it will be a straight saddle on a flat top baritone ukulele. I've managed to get to the point of making a nut, bridge and a saddle for my first build.Barring any more steps backwards the day for stringing it up is in sight.

So here I've been wondering how I'm going to rip small strips of bone to line the bridge tie block. Somewhere a little light went on and I remembered seeing little bone strips on my suppliers of all things ukulele website and there's my answer, buy them for $2 each. I wish it was always that simple.This is probably old news to experienced builders but that's what I like about this project,I learn something new every time I work on it.

Not on regular fixed bridges. However it is a simple way to lower the action rather than file the whole saddle down. Of course you might be talking about floating bridges where you have a tailpiece a fair distance from the bridge or which is not designed to space the strings properly, in which case it becomes necessary to maintain string spacing. I build that way a lot.

I have an eight string concert taro-patch made by David Newton. I'm guessing that he notched the saddle to maintain the string spacing for those double course strings.

A shot of the bridge for my baritone project. A black walnut off cut That I
knew was too nice for the stove.uke3 002.jpg

Drat why does my photo only show up as a link? There is a picture there honest.

Last edited:
Drat why does my photo only show up as a link? There is a picture there honest.
To show a photo full size in your post it has to be saved to a web site somewhere, then use the web page address (URL) in your post. I also very much suggest not to enter the link at the end of a paragraph, it's best to add two carriage returns after your text, then the link so the paragraph doesn't get spread apart. I took the liberty of re-making your post as an example:

A shot of the bridge for my baritone project. A black walnut off cut That I knew was too nice for the stove.

uke3 002.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 9 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Top Bottom