Which ukuleles are made entirely without using animal parts?

Orton Pearson

Reaction score
Which ukuleles are made entirely without using animal parts in the process and the finished product?

Of the ukuleles made by the best known companies are there many that are suitable for vegetarians?

Please appreciate that I do not wish to eat a ukulele. :D

Last edited:
I was watching your other thread.
The only ukulele/instruments that use hide glue are upper end custom jobs by big name luthiers.
Any cheap ukulele uses cheap synthetic glue similar to Tite Bond.

Also, most cheap ukuleles don't use bone nuts or bridges. Generally, this is a more expensive feature.
All of the Kala ukuleles we own (5) have GraphTech NuBone nuts and saddles, which are synthetic.
Good luck.

I was watching your other thread.
The only ukulele/instruments that use hide glue are upper end custom jobs by big name luthiers.
Any cheap ukulele uses cheap synthetic glue similar to Tite Bond.

Also, most cheap ukuleles don't use bone nuts or bridges. Generally, this is a more expensive feature.
All of the Kala ukuleles we own (5) have GraphTech NuBone nuts and saddles, which are synthetic.
Good luck.

This is a good and accurate answer. Buy a Kala and don't be "Ukeless" any more. See what I did there:p

Your only issue might be getting strings that are not derived from fishing line; if that sort of thing is off limits. I would suggest Aquilla strings, but not their natural gut.

John

What is the best ukulele for a carnivore? :D

Depends on your appetite... Blackbird or Stagg (which supposedly is a family name derived from the old English stagga... deer). If in error on the origin of the latter, I don't mind being corrected.

John

Well I'm not a Vegan, but I have been a Vegetarian and a Chemist for over 40 years. A high end uke will likely have a bone nut and saddle, and may have been put together with hide glue. So just get a mid level uke, specify Tusk or Nubone for the nut, and you'll be fine.

HOWEVER, it's a dirty little secret of the chemical industry that animal derivatives (especially tallow) make their way into an amazing variety of products like soap, detergent, shampoo, conditioner, fire extinguishers, money, plastic bags, fabric softener, coatings, you name it. So just opt for a synthetic nut and saddle, and don't worry about the small stuff that you won't be able to tell anyway.

I'm afraid you'll never get an accurate answer to that question. "...without using..." is the problem. Maybe if you look for a ukulele that does not contain animal parts you'll have better luck. Although plastic ukes do not contain animal parts, who's to say nothing animal related wasn't used in the process?

I'm afraid you'll never get an accurate answer to that question. "...without using..." is the problem. Maybe if you look for a ukulele that does not contain animal parts you'll have better luck. Although plastic ukes do not contain animal parts, who's to say nothing animal related wasn't used in the process?

I was going to also say the more 'plastic' you have probably the less chance of animal parts - the Waterman, Outdoor, Flight. Outdoor might be higher than your budget though.

I've no idea about the glue.

But as said without going to a luthier and getting built to spec I'm not sure you are going to be 100% certain on the lower end instruments. I doubt any factory will tell you what glue they use - might be wrong ;)

All this talk is just making me hungry . I'm going out to get a burger.

I think we are at risk of derailing this thread kind of pointlessly, but honestly I don't think you should call non vegetarians 'carnivores'.

Top Bottom