Do you recognize this ukulele logo?

Skywalker

Reaction score
Does anyone recognize this brand of ukulele from the logo? I think the abalone inlay may be an image of a pineapple flower. I'm pretty sure I've seen the logo online before, but I can't place it or find it online.

I got this tenor ukulele through Craigslist this week. It was missing the brand label. The ukulele itself appears to be a mass-produced model, likely Asian-made. It has a koa/acacia laminate body and a solid koa/acacia top with a high-gloss finish. The previous owner said it was originally sold as koa, but it's hard to tell whether it really is koa or some other acacia wood.

Despite several manufacturing flaws (it may be a 'blem'), it has pretty good intonation, a clear bell-like ring to the strings, and something of a sweet Hawaiian tone. So I'd like to know more about it. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Tenor uke headstock.jpg
    Tenor uke headstock.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I suspect that its just a headstock inlay and not a logo as such. Can you post more pictures. It could have been produced by a number of Vietnamese builders.

Here are pictures of the whole ukulele. You can see glue spots inside where the label used to be. It's a pretty instrument, though it has a number of manufacturing flaws, some of which show in the pictures. The tuners are gritty, and one of them threatens to seize. There is a one-inch patch in the side near the bottom edge at the waist (as well as a slightly smaller patch filled with putty on the other side, and extruded glue where the top is glued on). The finish has dimples and blips, is soft and prone to scratching, and has been crudely reworked at one part of the rosette. There is a compensated bone saddle, which seems to be a bit over-compensated on the third string. One of the side markers on the neck has been covered over with finish. The body is heavy and not balanced with the neck and head.

Still, the instrument plays nicely and has a sweet tone. Even when I'm not playing it, I love to pluck the open strings for their clear, resonant ring. And it was in my price range (someday I would love to have an Ohana CK-300G or TK-300G, but that's not happening right now). I had the strap buttons added. I think I'm going to be playing it a lot. I just wish I knew who made it.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 65.jpg
    65.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I suspect that it could be from a Vietnamese builder called Taisamlu yet unfortunately there aren't any details that are really jumping out. If it was from Taisamlu it may have originally been branded an Alulu although it may have had a private label on it as well as Taisamlu did some contract building. It doesn't look like a Brucewei who is another Vietnamese builder who's instruments you may see around without labels.

Yes, it's definitely not a Bruce Wei. I'm familiar with those, and the construction is very different. I'll look into Taisamlu and Alulu. Thanks!

Try a drop of oil on the tuners to remove the grit and free up stiff. Have you looked inside the ukulele with a mirror?

Top Bottom