Banjo Uke Build

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I made one with a 8" hand drum and it was not strong enough to stay in tune. I put it on the shelf for another day but that day hasn't come. I think it needs a full round back with f holes or something like that. I put a strut in line with the strings but that was not up to the job. I want to know how yours works.
Bill

I made one with a 8" hand drum and it was not strong enough to stay in tune. I put it on the shelf for another day but that day hasn't come. I think it needs a full round back with f holes or something like that. I put a strut in line with the strings but that was not up to the job. I want to know how yours works.
Bill

Plans I've seen include a 1/4" rod running through the center of the drum.

I made 3 or 4 banjo ukes some years back and i found out that a decent banjo uke needs a sturdy pot with 1/2" minimum wall thickness and at least 12 tension rods and a strong perch pole to hold it all together...this one has 14 skin tension rods.
my banjo.jpgmy banjo 2.jpg PICT1818q.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Timbuck, there is no shortcut to making a Banjo uke. I pulled my uke out and tried to tune it up and looking a the head was a deep dip with no way to adjust it. I think I will hang it back up and leave it there to remind me that shortcuts are the long to go.

I made 3 or 4 banjo ukes some years back and i found out that a decent banjo uke needs a sturdy pot with 1/2" minimum wall thickness and at least 12 tension rods and a strong perch pole to hold it all together...this one has 14 skin tension rods.

So this head with eight tension rods would either need more added to it, or not be used at all? The tension rods are hooked into little brackets, so I'd have to hook any additional ones over the top of the rim, correct?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GFLRO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A15SLCCJ9EEA8I&psc=1

You could do what Magic Fluke do and use a ten inch remo head. what you will need is a coordintor rod or rim rod. I used to buy mine from Wayne Rogers at Goldtone until he decided he no longer wanted my business, now I make my own. If he wont sell to you they are available on ebay.Not sure how good the hand drum you linked to will be but the Remo are excellent quality.
see my link for some images.
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...Model-quot-The-Fantail-quot&highlight=fantail

The "dip" is because the rim has deformed under string tension, the addition of a rim rod alleviates this issue.

Sorry, this post was in answer to Farmer Bill.

You could do what Magic Fluke do and use a ten inch remo head. what you will need is a coordintor rod or rim rod. I used to buy mine from Wayne Rogers at Goldtone until he decided he no longer wanted my business, now I make my own. If he wont sell to you they are available on ebay.Not sure how good the hand drum you linked to will be but the Remo are excellent quality.
see my link for some images.
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...Model-quot-The-Fantail-quot&highlight=fantail

Thanks for that. I thought of using that head, but I thought it would need the clamps to keep the "skin"tight.

Last edited:
I did mine with 25mm dowel through that just happened to match the thumb hole on the store bought hand drum perfectly. The 10mm ply rim bore no string stress at all and there were no deformation issues at all. It used a natural skin head and the sound was smooth and mellow, almost more like a wooden uke than a banjo uke.
For ultimate DIY tack on then heatshrunk PET bottles with handmade rims work a treat.
The pocket knife uke https://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-ukulele-with-a-pocket-knife/ is the most basic example.

I've made a few 5-string banjos useing Remo hand drums. I don't like rim rods or dowel sticks on any banjo. I use a rather heavy back to shift the balance back toward the rim, which likely wouldn't matter with the short neck of a uke. I sand the back of the rim for more gluing surface.

Attachments

• DSC_0026 (2).jpg
    DSC_0026 (2).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0028 (2).jpg
    DSC_0028 (2).jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0024 (2).jpg
    DSC_0024 (2).jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 32
I've made a few 5-string banjos useing Remo hand drums. I don't like rim rods or dowel sticks on any banjo. I use a rather heavy back to shift the balance back toward the rim, which likely wouldn't matter with the short neck of a uke. I sand the back of the rim for more gluing surface.

That's a beautiful bottom on that banjo, but I think that's beyond my woodworking skill level. How is that attached to the drum? I suppose I could make something functional but less fancy.

very pretty, but I'm wondering: what's the weight like? Love the way you accented on the neck

I'm making a list of parts for a tenor banjo uke, starting with a 10" hand drum. I won't be carving the neck out a block of mahogany this time. I'm buying the neck and fretted fretboard mostly finished.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0002GF...olid=1K6S0U4KGY5NH&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26-Set-Uku...144753&hash=item48a85b40ab:g:07IAAOSwTM5Y3Q7m

If any of you have suggestions for parts or techniques, I'd be glad to hear them.

Looks like you're maybe headed down the route you and I talked about in some PM. I definitely want to see what you come up with. BTW, some of the other hardware I found on stewmac
(sorry, it was forbidden or I'd have put link on for you. I don't quite get how ebay links can go through, but the StewMac link got me a forbidden note).

Looks like you're maybe headed down the route you and I talked about in some PM. I definitely want to see what you come up with. BTW, some of the other hardware I found on stewmac
(sorry, it was forbidden or I'd have put link on for you. I don't quite get how ebay links can go through, but the StewMac link got me a forbidden note).

Yes, it's odd how links get blocked. I've posted without the link and then gone back and added it through an edit.

very pretty, but I'm wondering: what's the weight like? Love the way you accented on the neck

The hand drum and back barely weigh enough to properly balance the instrument, and far less than a banjo with hooks, nuts, and tension hoop. The back is glued on. If wood blocks were added inside the rim the back could be screwed on, then all the major parts could be saved in the event that the head was punctured and a new drum required. I've not given up on banjos with all the hardware, but I believe I'll stay with the removable back and forego the usual rods and sticks.

The hand drum and back barely weigh enough to properly balance the instrument, and far less than a banjo with hooks, nuts, and tension hoop. The back is glued on. If wood blocks were added inside the rim the back could be screwed on, then all the major parts could be saved in the event that the head was punctured and a new drum required. I've not given up on banjos with all the hardware, but I believe I'll stay with the removable back and forego the usual rods and sticks.

Would there be an advantage in function, if not in looks, using a threaded rod to adjust tension?

Would there be an advantage in function, if not in looks, using a threaded rod to adjust tension?

The rim rod or. Coordinator rod if you prefer is there solely to prevent the pot/body from deforming under string tension. Used in banjos because of the greater tension with steel strings. You could in fact build a banjo uke without any rod as the string tension is so much less. I built a tenor block rim banjo uke for myself which has nor rod whatsoever. Still plays and performs as it should. I include them in my builds for sale because it is what people expect? And it is handy for putting a sock in it to quieten it down. ��

Top Bottom