Immovable Truss Rod on a Kala KA-BE

RobbingBiscuits

Reaction score
Hey all! A week ago my boyfriend surprised me with a Kala KA-BE he bought on eBay, knowing I had been looking at the model for some time. He found it for $150 new, which was a bit of deal compared to what I had been looking at around $200.

The thing is, it's been one issue after another. First, the 4 pin connector between the preamp and the jack had a bent wire, which he says will "work until it doesn't." Took some wiggling to get a good enough connection to play through.

After the first couple days, I also starting experiencing some pretty bad fret buzz on frets 2-5 on the g string (tuned DGBE). I tried to adjust the truss rod this morning with a 4mm allen wrench, but it won't budge. Either way. I've adjusted truss rods before and never had one stuck like this.

At this point, I'm really considering us returning it, and buying a KA-B in store about an hour and a half away. I've had a Kala KA-C for about 8 years now that plays wonderfully, and I really like the brand. I guess I'm just asking to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Return it!! This instrument is clearly defective. It'll only get worse from here.

Top Bottom