Uku build #25

Vespa Bob

Reaction score
It has been quite some time since I visited this forum, but since the the beginning of the year my free time has been in short supply! That's life, I guess.
Nevertheless my urge to build another uke had to be satisfied, so in March, to speed things up, I purchased a StewMac Tenor kit. This saved time in rounding up material, although I did switch to a solid spruce top. I also planned adding some "bling" and a bolt on neck rather than the dowel method suggested in the kit.
The kit met my expectations and I'm sure it will be an ideal choice for those with limited skills or equipment, but, personally, I think that Stewmac should continue selling their original kit as an option.
Due to time constraints, progress was very slow, despite my "jumpstart" with the kit. Since this was intended as a gift for my eldest son, an aerospace engineer, who knows a thing or two about quality, I was under a certain pressure not to screw up anywhere along the line!
I decide to use his initials for the headstock design, as he didn't offer any suggestions.
Eventually, after some delay in waiting for the weather to comply, I was able to spray a lacquer finish and, a week later, buff it out.
One tip I would like to suggest when building this kit is to go easy on the sanding. The ply laminates are pretty thin and if one isn't careful, the outer layer can be sanded through, leaving the underlying layer exposed! Don't ask me how I know.

Bob

Attachments

• Tenor front 2.jpg
    Tenor front 2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Tenor back.jpg
    Tenor back.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Tenor front.jpg
    Tenor front.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Tenor side view2.jpg
    Tenor side view2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Tenor headstock.jpg
    Tenor headstock.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 56
A few more pics

A few more:

Attachments

• Tenor back2.jpg
    Tenor back2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Tenor heel cap.jpg
    Tenor heel cap.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Tenor side view.jpg
    Tenor side view.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Tenorpeghead.jpg
    Tenorpeghead.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 30
Beautiful job Bob!!! An inspiration, I have been eyeballing a Stew Mac kit for quite some time.
Would be something great for myself and my woodworking father to do together.

Cheers,

Steve.

I haven't started building my tenor kit yet but you just raised the bar pretty high! Great job all around and a beautiful finish.

personally, I think that Stewmac should continue selling their original kit as an option.

Yes, I built a few of those earlier Stewmac kits and the quality of the new kit appears to my eye (I have not built one) to be quite a bit lower as well as the price. They also appear to be a lot less challenging to build than the original kits and much easier for the novice to complete which is probably a good thing. You have shown that with some customization and a slick finish, even the cheapy new kits can be made to look pretty darn good. Nice job Bob.

Top Bottom