S*** Happens

Ouch! :eek:
Do I smell a”factory second”? :p

Ouch! :eek:
Do I smell a”factory second”? :p

I think the smell of burning is more like it.. This is a good example of what grain runout can do.
The first break happened close to the neck block while the linings were being sanded flush..the other breaks happened when it hit the wall :)

Last edited:
......the other breaks happened when it hit the wall :)

I hear that is a good test to determine the instrument's integrity. Good thing you don't make pianos, that would be a lot tougher

Oh my! You put a lot of work on this. The neck and sides are ok?

The downside is that ..now I'm short of a pair of koa soprano sides to go with the fabulous top and back that I intended to use on this one..So I'll have to shop around for some more.

I've been looking around on eBay for some Koa to replace this and another set that needs some sides..The price that they are asking is ridiculous for a Yorkshireman like me a small chunk of Koa at 2.5" X 2 X 14" was around the £100 mark :uhoh:
So I searched a bit more and found this at £15 (thats more like the price I'm intrested in)..It's called "Morado" do you think anyone will know the difference ??:)
BolRosewood by Ken Timms, on Flickr
Further searching and I found this ..It's a bread board made from Acacia which is another version of Koa..Enough here to make six soprano sides for £12 inc shipping.
breadboard by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Last edited:
darn, I have that breadboard, but the missus uses it as a breadboard!
Good spot

Very creative, Timbuck. Do you resaw by hand or by machine? I'm asking because I purchased a Redwood billet for the top on my upcoming Tenor Guitar build. The board is wider than the resawing capacity of my bandsaw, so hand cutting is my only option. I have a nice German made hand ripsaw, and I have resawed small stuff with it, but it is laborious. I found instructions on how to make a frame saw, and I'm wondering if that is a better option.

Very creative, Timbuck. Do you resaw by hand or by machine? I'm asking because I purchased a Redwood billet for the top on my upcoming Tenor Guitar build. The board is wider than the resawing capacity of my bandsaw, so hand cutting is my only option. I have a nice German made hand ripsaw, and I have resawed small stuff with it, but it is laborious. I found instructions on how to make a frame saw, and I'm wondering if that is a better option.

Have a look here at Svens website..He knows all about frame sawing and builds some wonderful instruments just with hand tools,
http://argapa.blogspot.com/2018/09/resawing-personal-best.html

Last edited:
Acacia/Koa/?? Breadboard arrived this morning It was made from 3 pieces glued together at 2 1/4" & 2 3/8" & 1" ..The bark at one side was glued and stapled on one edge but the staples were few and not very deep into the main wood and I can work round them with careful sanding.
I managed to get enough sides for six sopranos..Not bad for £12 ..£2 a set :)..I hope it bends ok?
IMG_1472 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Always impressed with the resourcefulness and determination of y'all!
Ken, on flicker you've a pic of kerfing kn a sink. Looks like soapy water? I'm interested in what that's about.

Always impressed with the resourcefulness and determination of y'all!
Ken, on flicker you've a pic of kerfing in a sink. Looks like soapy water? I'm interested in what that's about.
I pre-bend my linings on a hot pipe before I fit and glue them in, so that they are a close fit with no stress or springback..but sometimes I get some brittle lengths that break easily while bending, and I've found that they are more plyable if I soak them in hot water first with a little washing up liquid as a wetting agent..This way I seem to get less Breakages.

Top Bottom