Season 345 : Hey There Little Insect!!!!!!

Here is the first of a pair of songs I have written for this week. This one harks back to one of my beloved pastimes in childhood - ant watching!

It tells the tale of one incident I particularly remember when the colony rescued one of their number who was in serious trouble.

I won't mention the cruel things young boys, like me and my brother, could also do to the poor ants when the "divil was upon us!" as my Irish Grandma would say.

Here it is, anyway. Hope you like it.

This is one of my favorite John Prine songs, finally tried it out. Bees are mentioned in the third verse.

Greetings,

Reposting my spider video "Ziggy Stardust" cover. The first one crashed. Lots of spiders in this one.

Ciao

Ahoy
Here is a short little children's song called 'Kalli litli könguló' or 'Charlie the Little Spider"
I did it in Icelandic and then I did an English rendition.

Greetings,

This is a poem put to a simple tune called "Kid Sister". I wrote it several months back, and it mentions ant hills. As I explain in the vid, my brother and I used to put dead bugs by the ant hills. I know it's strange by today's standards to enjoy such simple things. We played ball with rotten oranges (used to go to West Palm to my grandfather's house for holidays) played with bugs, ate cookies till 2 AM, and talked a lot about the Mets. I still am fascinated by insects and baseball.

Ciao

Have you ever been bitten by a tarantula and had the urge to dance a taranntella?
One composed by Giovanni Angelici?

Hey, Joo! Came across this on YT today .... cockroach heaven! (Strangely enough, the only time I've ever actually seen a cockroach was in the bathroom at a prestigious London hospital .... hmmmm!)

Arrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh! My flesh is literally crawling after watching that, great shuddering waves goign up and down my arms.

Once, in Lagos, Nigeria, we forgot to put the plug in the bath (used more to keep cockroaches out, than the water in in our house). Anyway, it rained heavily while we were out and when we got back and went into the bathroom all the local cockroaches had fled up the pipes and into our bath. Without exaggeration there were hundreds and hundreds of them of all sizes. My dad poured paraffin on them and lit it to kill them all. I can still smell that awful stink of roasting cockroach in my nightmares.

Here is my second and probably last for this week. it tells the true story of someone who was very dear to me who got himself trapped into an awful relationship, partly due to his own folly, but mainly due to the despicable web of lies and deceits woven by his "spider woman". Shockingly, he put up with living in the same house, but not sharing the same bed with this black widow for ten years until his untimely death.

Hope you like the song - enjoy might be the wrong verb.

It seems that the more I really love a song, the more I fight with it and stuff it up.
I did just that here.
Roadrunner once, roadrunner twice, I’m in love with rock and roll and I’ll be out all night.

Hey, Joo! Came across this on YT today .... cockroach heaven! (Strangely enough, the only time I've ever actually seen a cockroach was in the bathroom at a prestigious London hospital .... hmmmm!)

this is so sick I loved it!
hahaha!
Thanks Val!
where I come from in Singapore cockroaches are a common sight in some places.... I mean "swarms of cockroaches".
No matter how sanitised your home is, 1 or 2 will find its way to your house.
and apparently, if you see 1 you can be sure there are at least 100 of its mates nearby.

A friend told me that she knows this couple who loves cockroaches and lives with thousands of them in their apartment.
When she visited them the first time ( and the last, I believe), what she thought was a dark coloured curtain in the dim room
was actually a wall covered with moving cockroaches. yuck!!

I told YorkSteve the story where I almost swallowed a cockroach in my beverage one time...
I forgot to say that it was an accident. I don't love to eat cockroaches. :p

Last edited:
this, a song from Alan and John Lomax' landmark collection,
American Ballads & Folk Songs (1934).

Thank you for another day of great songs, people!

I enjoyed myself.
Hope you too!

Just caught up with all the videos and am going to bed in a minute.

Goodnight and see you tomorrow!

Wonderful intro Joo!
Here's one from a minor JP written by the greatest JP. it has "flies in the kitchen"

This is really beautifully done, I hope more people watch this!

Greetings,

This is a poem put to a simple tune called "Kid Sister". I wrote it several months back, and it mentions ant hills. As I explain in the vid, my brother and I used to put dead bugs by the ant hills. I know it's strange by today's standards to enjoy such simple things. We played ball with rotten oranges (used to go to West Palm to my grandfather's house for holidays) played with bugs, ate cookies till 2 AM, and talked a lot about the Mets. I still am fascinated by insects and baseball.

Ciao

So tender and touching, Gina. Thanks for this.

Top Bottom