Season 345 : Hey There Little Insect!!!!!!

Yes, I wish I hadn't done "Ugly Bug Ball" last week! This is going to be fun and challenging, Joo!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you will bring, Val, even if it is a song you have done last week!

Wonderful intro Joo!
Here's one from a minor JP written by the greatest JP. it has "flies in the kitchen"

The Spider's legend of Robert the Bruce

Robert the Bruce had been defeated once again and he retreated to a cave.
Whilst he was in there he noticed a spider trying to spin a web... trying to
swing from one rafter to the next and always failing. It sort of epitomised
his own failures, and he thought to himself, if the spider makes it on the
seventh swing then I will give this king business another go. Well the spider
made it and Bruce went on to win the battle of Bannock Burn and Scotland became
an independent nation. Perhaps the first recorded incident of an insect changing
history. This is a poem by Hugh Mc Millan which relates the incident from
the spider's point of view.

Ah got scunnert tryin' tae spina web for denner,
the stane wis a' slaisterie, ah couldnae get a grip,
ah wis hauf stairved by the end, no even a midge tae claucht,
then a big lug o' a mon cam in, raggety, right dosser,
mair hungert looking than me, stairted eyeing me up,
ah thought, am off, swung like tarzan
oot the cave on a thread thick as a wean's wrist.
Seemed tae cheer him up.

Last edited:
Here's one off David Allan Coe's debut album from 1969, which was a blues album. I did this song awhile back during Linda Louden's Season where we used different open tunings, which was a lot of fun to experiment with, and it worked really well that way, but this time I tried it in standard tuning. This is not an easy song to pull off, I inadvertently spit during this take, guess it could be called a "spit take".....

Greetings,

Hope I can lay down the song I have in mind. I will open it with a wonderful picture I took this summer of spiders emerging from their protective egg ball. My family found it creepy that I watched this ball every day hoping for the hatch. Nature is amazing.

Ciao

i'm sure we'll get the full song this week, but the chorus from it was used as the theme tune to a super UK tv series (late seventies to early eighties), "butterflies"...

"love is like a butterfly" (chorus)

My brain must be running slow today. I didn't pick up on his rhyming scheme until after I'd recorded this, which is why I mispronounced "breathin'" as "breathing."

At first, I was thinking, this is really cool, a great song with no rhymes. But as I worked on it, I eventually realized that the rhymes are definitely there and I had missed them because they're so far apart.

"Window in the wind" from the first stanza rhymes (loosely) with "distant pair of wings" in the second stanza. "Someone's fading shadow" from the first stanza rhymes with "through an open meadow" in the second stanza.

For stanzas three and four, the pattern remains. "Canyons of your mind" rhymes with "dreams I left behind" and "believe in" rhymes with "breathin'."

I'm sure this isn't news to everyone, but when I finally realized what was happening with these lyrics, I just sat here stunned for a minute or two staring at the lyric sheet.

When my wife heard me practicing this, she got really excited. Apparently this is one of her favorite songs. I don't remember ever hearing it before, although I may have heard the Glen Campbell cover at some point and just don't remember it.

I did this one awhile ago, but it's ideal for this Season. Mark Knopfler wrote it for Dire Straits, and Mary-Chapin Carpenter had a big hit with it.

Love the theme, joo!

Greetings,

How about spiders from Mars..opening shot is the spiders hatching I was talking about. It was one of my vacation highlights. I am fascinated with spiders and critters of all sorts.

Ciao

Here’s a song I know and love from childhood. It contains an arachnid and an insect.

Hello everyone!
It's 2.19 pm here and I just got back from my little art room...
SO HAPPY to see that there are quite a number of videos up here!
YES! I will go and watch them now!

I asked Jon yesterday what insect would he wanna be if he had to turn into one.
He said a BEE. I reminded him that bees die after they sting, and he said he doesn't want to sting people,
just fly around happily pollinating flowers. hehe. :)

random question : what insect do you think you are?

OK I better go and watch your videos now!

talk later!

In answer to your question Joo what else could I be but a Plecia nearctica...the Love bug! Lately though I have to say I’ve been feeling more slug then bug.

And, hey! Someone reminded me I have a cockroach pastiche I wrote years ago for the kiddies!

Fun week for me ;)

hehe, Janet.
I like slugs too. :p

Top Bottom