Season 345 : Hey There Little Insect!!!!!!

joo

Reaction score

This week is all about INSECTS, ARACHNIDS and JONATHAN RICHMAN.

(In case you, like me, had no idea what arachnids are until I looked it up on the internet, ARACHNIDS are 8-legged non insect creatures like spiders, mites, ticks, scorpions and daddy-longlegs.)

1.Play any song that is about insects and arachnids or mention them, either in the title or lyrics.

Fellow seasonistas who have written insect/arachnid songs :
Berni - The Flew Who Climbed Mount Everest
Janet - The Mantis Melody, Humming Along, Army Ant Wars, The Singing Armadillo, and Hey Little Fish
Kevin - Spider Song
Jon - Skeeter Song and Meant To Be To Be
Bill ( 23skidooooooooo ) - The Cricket
Tony ( casetone2514) - I Really Don't Like Spiders

Some of you might find the names of the insects with human faces in the intro video familiar. They are paintings I made based roughly on the characters from Franz Kafka's short story Metamorphosis, which tells the story of salesman Gregor Samsa who wakes one morning to find himself inexplicably transformed into a huge insect and subsequently struggling to adjust to this new condition. If you feel inspired to, I would love to hear any original song that is inspired by or based on this story.

2. Play any song by Jonathan Richman or him and The Modern Lovers.

The usual start and end time apply. Must have a uke somewhere in your video, even if you just pick or strum it a few times. Multi-tracking - YES. Instrumentals - YES. Collaborations - YES! Children songs - YES!! Home-made instruments - YES!!! Originals - YES !!!!!

For prizes I might crochet some wonky insect badges OR make a cartoon drawing of the winners.

here are 2 badges I have made so far....haha
pink insect.jpg

purple insect.jpg

HAVE FUN!

a list of insect/arachnid songs by fellow seasonistas/ukers

a video of Jonathan Richman's early demos

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
OOOH. HMMM. Creepy, crawly ...

Sounds like Halloween is coming early :) Thanks for hosting Joo!

How could you forget about me Joo! I'm the original doodler and puppeteer on the Seasons and of course I have insect songs :) I'm buzzing mad! (you know I'm really not). Just a smart a a a aleck, yeah, that's it. Super Season Joo! I'll be jumping right in!

which one Janet?!
this one has a girl and a fish and no dogs with fleas...

i wannna listen to your insect songs!

Sounds like Halloween is coming early :) Thanks for hosting Joo!

my first time hosting, Kevin.
i know you will bring something awesome!
hope you find the theme inspiring!

OOOH. HMMM. Creepy, crawly ...

and cute:p

....maybe.

i used to be terrified of praying mantises( how to spell the plural of that thing?)
then one day i was stuck in a room with one, and it looked at me while it looked like it was dying..
like it just stayed on the window sill and slightly moved its head...all the time looking at me...
and i thought hey it didn't look that scary after all.
maybe just that one.

those bright green ones scared the s** out of me.
still do, i think.

which one Janet?!
this one has a girl and a fish and no dogs with fleas...

i wannna listen to your insect songs!

Actually this one does have a dog scratching fleas, lol. I never even thought of this one! I have 2 others I can think of. One is about bees and another about my favorite insect the Praying Mantis. I believe that one is called Mantis Melody and even has a mantis playing a uke! Fun memories of when I had more energy and time! BTW I believe more than one mantis are mantid :) Their egg sack is called an ootheca! Never been bitten by one and I've raised them and held them a lot. I can see how they could look scary though!

Thanks for posting one of my first written songs and uke videos ever! I will look for the other insect tunes and put a link up for ya.

Last edited:
the praying mantis! OMG.
would love to hear that Janet.
which of your channel can i find the bee and mantis song Janet?
i want to add them to the playlist.

Last edited:
Great theme, Joo! I’m a big insect and spider fan - in the main they are beautiful and amazing creatures, as I keep trying to tell my little girl, who remains unconvinced! Thanks for hosting - I hope you have an Ugly Bug Ball! (See what I did there? ;) )

Hi Joo. I just got back from the US. I was wondering where you stood on the "worms" in Pink Floyds the Wall. I imagine they are talking about maggots, which are insect larva...

Great theme, Joo! I’m a big insect and spider fan - in the main they are beautiful and amazing creatures, as I keep trying to tell my little girl, who remains unconvinced! Thanks for hosting - I hope you have an Ugly Bug Ball! (See what I did there? ;) )

Yes, I wish I hadn't done "Ugly Bug Ball" last week! This is going to be fun and challenging, Joo!

Thanks Joo! "The Mantis Melody" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Ou4kjluB8

"Humming Along" is about a special moth, a hummingbird moth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FM4j6X1a8k

"The Singing Armadillo", it's about an armadillo but there is a cricket in there :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50IDYzkvfFY

Thanks for sharing these, Janet! I have created a special playlist that features some insect/arachnid songs that have been done by our fellow seasonistas, you can find it in the first post.

Thanks, Del! I think I will have fun this week hosting my first season.
Looking forward to seeing what you will bring!

Yes insects are beautiful. Spiders, I don't know. But at least they don't fly like cockroaches!

Hi Joo. I just got back from the US. I was wondering where you stood on the "worms" in Pink Floyds the Wall. I imagine they are talking about maggots, which are insect larva...

Hi Robin!
Yes insect larvae are cool. Pink Floyd are cool. Please feel free to bring anything you feel for and love to play for this week, 6 or 8 legs or in larva form, I don't care, most importantly you have fun.

BTW, I also find Jonathan Richman dancing and singing and playing the guitar quite cool.

Top Bottom