Season 345 : Hey There Little Insect!!!!!!

Joo said I should "bug" her one more time this week, so here it is, a Jimmy C. Newman song I did awhile back, that I really like. Tried it on the "Finnish ukulele" this time around, with a splash of cigar box at the end to be "legal". This is a very quick take cause I didn't have much time, and I have a really bad cold. I'm trying to get better at playing with a pick on the mandolin, it's been my biggest hurdle in trying to learn this instrument this year. Don't have it down yet, but I feel myself getting slightly more confident at least.

We have a very bad scorpion problem at my house. During the cooler parts of the year, they apparently go dormant and they aren't such a problem. But during the hotter parts of the year, they are everywhere. We have to check our beds at night before we go to bed. We have to check our clothes in the morning before we get dressed. We have all been stung several times. My daughter was stung four times by one that was in her shirt when she was getting dressed, and she was weak and nauseated all day. I have been stung in my sleep. I have been lying in bed and suddenly seen one walk across the covers only a few inches from my eyes. It's really bad.

I grabbed all these photos from various websites, except for the last photo of the mother scorpion with scorplings all over her back. I took that one myself yesterday while I was working.

We have vinagaroons in Texas, but I have never actually seen a living one, only one that had been preserved as a specimen.

Scorpions are not spiders, but they are kin
Like mites and ticks, they are all arachnids
The scorpion has a painful sting that can make you swoon
Unlike its stingless cousin, the vinagaroon

It likes to live in sand, where it's easy to dig
It looks just like its ancient ancestors, but it's not as big
It grabs insects with its pincers, that's a kind of claw
And kills them with the stinger on its telson, that's what its tail is called

Oh scorpion, oh scorpion, please don't sting me
Your sting is much more painful than a honeybee's
Oh scorpion, oh scorpion, please understand
I'll leave you alone if you stay outside in your sand

It can live for a long long time with hardly any food
It can freeze and then just walk away when it warms up good
A mother scorpion keeps her babies upon her back
But she won't hesitate to eat them, if other food she lacks

Oh scorpion, oh scorpion, please don't sting me
Your sting is much more painful than a honeybee's
Oh scorpion, oh scorpion, in my house don't come
Your venom makes my lips and my hands go numb

some comics I made a short while ago, realised there is a spider in there. made it into a song just now. had fun doing this.
if you do watch it, hope it makes you smile!
Thanks again for all your entries! I hope you all are enjoying this season.

Will go get some lunch and catch up on the rest of the videos later today!
see you!

Here's a Cage the Elephant one I tried to post last night but the forum went down.

More JoJo for you all. This is my first collab with pabrizzer. Jonathan Richman classic from way back. The original is exhuberant - two chords and loads of joy. I think we kept that feeling, and pa added a real swampy tone to the proceedings.

Hope you like it, and more JoJo to come.

This is an Ed's Redeeming Qualities song. ERQ was an acoustic band in Boston in the late '80s. It was the first band I had ever heard with a uke player that wasn't playing 1920s music or Hawaiian music. My daughter Molly says this is a very cheerful song, considering that it's about her worst nightmare.

More and more, and more and more. This is another side of the great Jonathan Richman. I've loved this song since I first heard it. Funny, touching, and it really resonates to me.

Hope you all like it.

good morning!
It's Sunday morning here in Hobart. I am having coffee and waiting for the washing to be done, Jon is watching Insiders, a program that is on every Sunday that talks about the highlights of the week's current affairs. Great program.

The tree in our backyard is in full bloom and the bees are loving it. We are not sure what tree it is, ,maybe a Japanese Cherry tree. It is gorgeous.
here are a few photos:-D
full bloom.jpg
bee in flower 1.jpg
bee in flower 2.jpg

So pleased to see more entries. Gonna watch them in a sec.

Top Bottom