Heroes...

S11LKO

Reaction score
I haven't been playing ANY of my instruments over the last couple of weeks due to my having to recover from a serious car accident I was involved in where my vehicle was a totalled!

My enforced abstinence has however afforded me lots of time to listen to and enjoy the music of others, and also reflect on my own humble attempts at making noise.

When I was a kid, two people got me into playing the guitar.

The first was my cousin's boyfriend (also a Dave) who at 10 years my senior played and sang wonderfully, taught me the basics of my first song (Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes by Edison Lighthouse if I remember correctly!), and gave me my first ever guitar to practice it on.

We soon thereafter lost contact, but the last I heard he had formed a band and was travelling the world playing holiday clubs, hotels, bars, etc. - never earning great money but doing what he loves. I hope he's still around, playing and enjoying both his music and good health.

The second was the following guy who I loved back in the day before his untimely death. If you get 20 mins to watch over a cuppa I'm sure you'll enjoy!

What or who started YOU playing?

Hi Dave,

Was wondering why you weren't posting new videos. Bummer about totalling your vehicle - hope you make a quick recovery.

Started playing guitar with my friends a while before you did. Learned the instrumentals - Pipeline & Journey to the Stars.

Unfortunate that Jim Croce passed away before he could really get started.

Regards,
Keith

It is Keith. It's both sad and amazing in my humble view how many great and famous musicians die so young. I've made it to the age of 62 (on 4th October) so it proves I am neither great nor famous!! lol

I've personally never really played instrumentals; as a result my finger-style is pretty poor. Perhaps I should think about starting to improve that aspect of my playing...

Top Bottom