New Uke, New Uuuuuuuke... (Kamaka HF-3)

edhaponik

Reaction score
OMG so stoked.

A couple years ago my Kamaka HF-2L longneck concert was among the stuff I sold to fund a bass purchase. The bass in question didn't end up working for me, and the Kamaka was really the only thing I regretted letting go of. I had some Martins though and wasn't able to justify the expense at the time.

Fast forward a few years (and add in a much needed stay on Oahu) and the desire for that sound and feel had grown to be overwhelming. Beyond that, I've become more and more aware of the people who make the products I use every day, and the emphasis on family and craftsmanship which Kamaka brings is really wonderful. I know they're not the only ones doing that, but it's still special.

Anyway, finally back in a spot to spend something on an ukulele, and I got a great deal on a showroom HF-3. I figured it might have the odd scratch or mark, but nada. The koa is both understated and beautiful, the action is superb, and it's got that deep crystal tenor sound that just instantaneously transports me from the inanity of my daily routine.

Super interesting to A/B it with my Martin Tenor. Right now I think there's a place for both in my music room. Regardless, I know I'll be pretty reluctant this HF-3 go anytime, ever.

IMG_2375.jpgIMG_2376.jpgIMG_2372.jpgIMG_2379.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats mate - a lovely piece of kit indeed! Enjoy.

Really nice. I enjoy my HF-3 very much. There is a very refined sound to the Kamaka tenor. Like they worked for 100 years on getting the exact sound they want. I also like how the koa shows a different grain depth as you change the angle you are looking at it or the type of light you are viewing it under.

Great instrument. Even better since you got a deal on it. Enjoy!

Congratulations! Sounds like you got a great deal on a great uke. I had never played a Kamaka before I recently picked up a soprano gold label. I loved the something special sound of Kamakas on the sound clips I listened to, but experiencing it in person is even better. Happy strumming on your new uke and hoping to see some pictures!

Congratulations, Kamaka are wonderful instruments and your tenor sure is beautiful. I have a Kamaka super concert and a 100th Anniversary baritone and I love the sound, feel and looks of these Kamaka family ukuleles . Enjoy

Congratulations! Kamakas are great ukuleles. Enjoy yours.

Top Bottom