Hello from Canada!

kai663

Reaction score
Hey! I've been using these forums for months, and figured I'd finally make an account and say hello.

I'm beginner-ish, having played for about five months. I bought my first uke on a whim: I had been trying to learn guitar, but couldn't get my fingers to cooperate. So I picked up a cheap uke on ebay thinking I could work on form/etc on it then go back to guitar... but fell in love and am now considering selling my guitar to buy a better quality ukulele lol.

(For the curious, I snagged a spruce top concert Kmise with a pretty awful hummingbird on it for 35 CAD shipped. With different strings, it really sounds amazing considering what I paid!)

Welcome, from SW Ontario.
One of my ukuleles came from eBay, but I can't remember what I paid. It is my oldest ukulele.

(Ukuleles are like potato chips. You can't have just one.)

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your time here!

Welcome to the Forum. Beware! Ukuleles are like rabbits. They have a tendency to multiply. :)
Jan (fellow Canuck, now living in Oregon)

Welcome to the forum from one Canuck to another. There are many Canadians on here and if you tell us what part of the country you live in we could recommend what uke jams to join. As Lapyang said above he is coming up from the States to my house on Saturday to meet up with a few of us and have some picking and strumming fun. Gonna be able to test drive a whole bunch of different instruments

I tried guitar long long time ago, gave up. Spent many years doing nothing musical then started uke 4 years ago. I have started back on guitar and am making good progress because of the uke. Which I still love the most. So don't sell that guitar, a member here gave me that advice when I asked your same question 3 years ago.

Thanks for all the welcomes!

I'm in SW Ontario, and will be going to my first 'jam session' in about 2 weeks: I'm nervous as all heck. Thank goodness that it's going to be drunks playing instruments at a pig roast party... probably the safest way to learn to play with others involves alcohol! ;)

Thanks for all the welcomes!

I'm in SW Ontario, and will be going to my first 'jam session' in about 2 weeks: I'm nervous as all heck. Thank goodness that it's going to be drunks playing instruments at a pig roast party... probably the safest way to learn to play with others involves alcohol! ;)

The very best way to learn how to play is playing with others. Uke jams are a casual affair where beginners show up all the time and are always welcomed. I took a ukulele 101 beginners course on a Saturday then attended the jam 4 days later.

We teach a thing called the "New York Strum" to keep you in the song. You lightly touch all the strings with your fretting hand so when you strum no notes sound (dont push down to make fretboard contact) you here a percussive chunking sound. So play the chords you know and when one comes up you dont know.....New York strum. Keep strumming and singing till the next chord you know shows up, then play the hell outta that chord. Continue until the end of the song

Besides you will have adult beverages and roast pig, don't get much better than that. Enjoy and please report back with highlights of your first jam

Last edited:
London area?
There is a classical ukulele Facebook page host by a lady in London Ontario and the administrator is from Ottawa

Sort of but not really - I'm about half way between London and Windsor. I could make the drive occasionally, but it definitely wouldn't be a regular thing unfortunately.

Top Bottom