ISO Boston-area luthier/repairperson for vintage uke

Junie Moon

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a luthier/repairperson in the Boston, MA area? I bought an "as-is" uke from Elderly a few weeks ago. (Hawaiian, no-name, 1920s, maybe Kumalae)

It's playable, but I might want to get the few small cracks repaired before they turn into big cracks.

Appreciate any recommendations. I'd like to know I'm putting it into good hands.

Thanks, John.

Unfortunately, Music Emporium is now only repairing instruments that they have sold. They do recommend a few Boston-area techs.

Anyone have experience with any of these repair services?

Dan Armstrong @ Armstrong Guitars in Natick, MA

Matt Arcara @ MGA Guitars in Portland, ME

Pat DiBurro @ DiBurro Guitars (for Martin, Taylor and Collings warranty work) in Exeter, NH

Steve Morrill @ Steve Morrill Guitar Repair in Boston MA

Wood and Strings in Arlington, MA

Hi Junie,
I have seen some of Dan Armstrong's guitar repairs. Music Unlimited in Kingston uses him. Nice stuff.
He did a bone nut, saddle and fret dress for me on an Epiphone. I will be sending him a Favilla Baritone for some brace and back work soon.

I have been in Wood and Strings. Nice people. I have handled a couple of franken-ukes they built. Nice work as I remember (couple of years ago), but no real knowledge of their work.

'Hope this helps...Sean

Hi Junie,
I have seen some of Dan Armstrong's guitar repairs. Music Unlimited in Kingston uses him. Nice stuff.
He did a bone nut, saddle and fret dress for me on an Epiphone. I will be sending him a Favilla Baritone for some brace and back work soon.

I have been in Wood and Strings. Nice people. I have handled a couple of franken-ukes they built. Nice work as I remember (couple of years ago), but no real knowledge of their work.

'Hope this helps...Sean

This IS helpful, Sean.

Many thanks,
Junie

Yes, I forgot, Dan Armstrong did some troubleshooting on a uke for me, to fix an intermittently working
pickup. He was fast, and only charged $15.00 to get it working. I believe that Music Go Round in Natick also uses him on ukulele work, so I’d recommend him.

Try fixing the cracks yourself. Lots of info on how to do it.

Thanks for the feedback, John and Pete.

As for fixing it myself ... I know my limits. :)

(Ron Cook has posted several repair logs for Kumalae ukes. Very enjoyable reading, if you like that kind of thing ... and I do: http://www.roncookstudios.com/ron-cook-studios-repair-logs.html)

But since you brought it up, I'm sure I could scare up a cheap uke that could use a little amateur TLC.

Hi Junie,

'Hope this helps...Sean

I just remembered what else Dan had done for me...
He refinished and repaired the back on a 34-24 Martin style 0 export. This was fixing a botched old repair (not by him). The finished had cracked off at least 1/8" on either side of the split.

not in boston,but jake wilwood in vermont does a lot of vintage instruments. google him

I just remembered what else Dan had done for me...
He refinished and repaired the back on a 34-24 Martin style 0 export. This was fixing a botched old repair (not by him). The finished had cracked off at least 1/8" on either side of the split.

Good to know, Sean. This is the first-hand info I was hoping to get. I trust you were happy with his work.

I'll pay him a visit. Many thanks.

Top Bottom