How about an Oreo?

Naturally, I love them.. but it goes a bit further than just liking the instruments (which I think are great).

Pete and Shelley are both really nice people to deal with and I am a big fan of supporting local talent.

The other thing is how Pete is an innovator. When I first saw his HPL instruments online and how they are made I thought, 'nah... won't work' - then I played one. So when I saw the Oreo I knew it would.

Highly recommended.

I've got to quit reading these threads. Now I want one of these! I've already got my first rationalization - I'd be supporting a local craftsman! (I am a Minnesotan but 270 miles away. :cool:) If I eventually decided to get one I'd have to let one of my current loves go. (I'm at the one in/one out phase for me.)

What kind of case would you put this in since it has such a thin body?

I have a Walnut and Cherry Oreo Baritone on order. I spent quite a bit of time listening to Barry’s review of the Tenor along with reading the written review.I also inquired with others that had purchased Oreo Ukuleles, before deciding to order one.
When it came time to order I received the kind of customer service you dream about, Shelley made certain that every detail of my thoughts/choices were exactly what I had in mind.
I can’t say enough about the great service. Excited for it to arrive, should only be a couple of more weeks.

What kind of case would you put this in since it has such a thin body?

The Oreo Pete shipped to me was in a regular hard case with a bit of padding behind it. Worked fine and survived a flight across the Atlantic!

The Oreo Pete shipped to me was in a regular hard case with a bit of padding behind it. Worked fine and survived a flight across the Atlantic!

Of course! I was so focused on thinking it needed a special case for its special size that I overlooked the simple answer.

Do the Oreos come with a standard setup akin to a factory setup or will they work with you if you need low action?

Again - that's one to discuss with Pete - the one he sent me was set up just as I would like it, but I get that people have their own thoughts. The beauty of ordering from him is you get to speak to a real person. Just tell him how you would like it.

Interesting ukuleles for sure, but unless I'm mistaken, "Oreo" is still a registered trademark. Who knows whether Mondeléz International would enforce the trademark.... but.

Interesting ukuleles for sure, but unless I'm mistaken, "Oreo" is still a registered trademark. Who knows whether Mondeléz International would enforce the trademark.... but.

Yes, that will be a problem down the road.

years ago, a friend opened a country store call Cracker Barrel. Years later, a restaurant started up and chose that name - and registered it. Some time later, he got a notice that he had to change the name of his store. Now it's the ... I forget what it is. "Cracker Barrel" is stuck in my head. Cracker Mill???

I don't think that would be a huge headache for Pete - it's just a nickname he could change if asked. I don't believe he has sunk big money into designing branding or marketing materials that rely on that name

I was wondering that as soon as I heard the uke's name. It's kind of a shame because it's a perfect nickname and I am hard pressed to come up with a better alternative. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were a cease and desist letter sent to them somewhere down the line. I can't imagine that Bonanza ukes would be on their radar but all it takes is one person telling them that a uke maker is using the Oreo name and selling product.

Again - that's one to discuss with Pete - the one he sent me was set up just as I would like it, but I get that people have their own thoughts. The beauty of ordering from him is you get to speak to a real person. Just tell him how you would like it.

I'll have to get in touch with them with my questions. Right now I can recognize that I am in the infatuated/lust stage so I'll have to give myself a cooling off period to see if an Oreo is still as desireable a month or two down the road. (My gut feeling is that it will be.) I have a new uke coming to me today so I shouldn't already be looking for another!

Sorry guys, anyone who owns the baritone how does the volume and tone compare to a usual width solid top Instrument? Baz’s Review suggests the volume is quiet but acceptable on the tenor

Check out their Facebook page. There's a lot of videos there of ukes that they are about to ship out. They have some baritone videos there.

Sorry guys, anyone who owns the baritone how does the volume and tone compare to a usual width solid top Instrument? Baz’s Review suggests the volume is quiet but acceptable on the tenor

No, I didn't say that. I said:

"Sound wise you would expect a narrow body built this way to suffer on volume and whilst it is not the loudest ukulele on the block, I was pleasantly surprised by what it does have. No, it's not 'melt your face' in volume but it is no slouch and louder than many tenors I have played"

I didn't say it's quiet. Sure, it's quieter than my tenor Koaloha, but that's hardly a surprise. I've played quieter regular body tenors.

I was wondering that as soon as I heard the uke's name. It's kind of a shame because it's a perfect nickname and I am hard pressed to come up with a better alternative. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were a cease and desist letter sent to them somewhere down the line. I can't imagine that Bonanza ukes would be on their radar but all it takes is one person telling them that a uke maker is using the Oreo name and selling product.

Yeah, "Hydrox" just doesn't have the same ring to it... :(

"

I didn't say it's quiet. Sure, it's quieter than my tenor Koaloha, but that's hardly a surprise. I've played quieter regular body tenors.

Sorry did not mean to misquote you. And thanks for helping with my volume question.

Sorry did not mean to misquote you. And thanks for helping with my volume question.

I equally dont want to mis-represent it - it's not loud, but it's not quiet either. Kind of average i'd say - sorry if that is vague!

Top Bottom